December 30, 2010

My 2010 Top Ten . . .

IMG_7427

S is for suckage.

It seems there’s a blogging phenomenon going on right now.  Something about doing a ‘year in review’ or ‘top ten favorite posts’ type of thing.  The idea appeals to my obsessive compulsive anal control freak list making mentality, so I started thinking about ideas a few days ago.  And after much contemplation, this is what I came up with:

The Dragonfly’s Epic Fails of 2010

10.  Weekly Date Night With The Hubby.  Even with an eligible built-in baby sitter, I just wasn’t able to pull this one off.  Too many other commitments for both of us and our kids.  But in good news, we did end up falling asleep together on the couch with the TV on at least 32 times this year.

9. Weekly Phone Call To Best Friend In Utah.  Our phone messages to one another play out back and forth like some sick joke: “I thought I’d catch you at home right now. I guess you’re busy.  I’m out running errands and then have piano and basketball and dance and violin and tennis and the play and scouts and activity days to drive to right after school.  Try to call me at 4:53:22 for a quick thirty second review of my crazy life.” And on and on. You know who you are friend.  I am determined to do better this year.

8.  Daily Scripture Study With Family.  Actually, this isn’t so much an epic fail as a weekend fail.  We are rocking the Monday through Friday reading.  On the weekends we are 0 for 52.  Sad.

7.  Basement Re-do. I had some serious energy around May and June.  I got the whole front room painted.  Then the Hubby helped me clad it in board and batten.  We got a new couch and bookshelves and I refinished the TV piece. Then I ran out of energy.  Which is really uncool seeing as how the playroom has been taped off for painting for almost four months now.  I don’t even notice it anymore. Crikey.

6.  Exercise.  This could really be number one.  A year ago I was six months post baby and ready to rid myself of the many jiggly parts gracing my body.  I did walk a few times around the neighborhood with Ollie in a stroller.  And there was that time for a week when Jillian Michaels kicked my butt on DVD.  But then I got tired.  So I stopped.  Lame.

5. Drinking Lots of Water.  After joining my sister-in-law’s healthy living blog, I was really doing great at this. I’m not going to lie - I had to pee a lot, but my skin looked great and I felt really good! After about three months however, the thought of drinking another ounce of water made me want to cry (which I could do because I was properly hydrated!)  I recently got a chewing out by my doctor for not drinking enough, so I’m back on the H20 bandwagon.  Yay.

4. Monthly Blog Giveaways. My intentions were good.  And I did manage to pull together giveaways for January, February, March, April, July, October and December.  But those other five months? Well, you deserve more. Sorry.

3. Clean Bathrooms.  My goal was every Saturday.  The reality was that I cleaned them (or had my minnions ‘clean’ them) when I couldn’t stand to see things growing in the toilets any longer.  I have come to the brilliant epiphany that I really hate this job above all other household duties.  Wanna come be my maid?  Email me.

2. Learn to do cool things with Edward. If you’re not in the know, Edward is my camera. And though I said I was going to go through the manual and figure out all the awesome possibilities, I did not.  I did have a few quick lessons from my Photobro, but I’m learning challenged and quickly forget what he taught me. Stupid me.

1.  My Photoblog. Could there be a bigger disaster?  I think not.  I was inspired by my friend Lee who has successfully accomplished a photo a day for a year two years in a row.  And after doing a family photo each weekend last year I felt like I needed to up my game.  But it was not to be. I missed out on a full one third of the year – the majority of it happening since November.  I could blame the whole birthday – Thanksgiving – birthday – Christmas thing, but really, I just got overwhelmed after missing a week of photos.  It became like my ironing pile, growing bigger and bigger until I couldn’t face it. So, I’m working on a different angle for next year – something more doable for a girl like me.

Wow. That is a long list of failures.  But strangely, I feel better having publicly outed them.  Hmmm. . . Anyone else want to share today?

6 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

One of my 2010 resolutions was to have friends over for dinner once a month. We succeeded maybe 6 out of 12 months. (But we had family over for dinner every month.)

My thinking is this: I was more mindful of doing more and even though I wasn't perfect, I was better.

When it comes to resolutions, I steer clear of Yoda's admonition: "Do or do not. There is no try." I'm all about the try.

The Queen Vee said...

Clean the garage, not done.

Landscape, not done, may never get done.

Decorate house, ah, ha, ha, ha!

Get rid of magazines...well you know how I've done on that one.

Lose weight, give up diet coke, exercise...I lost the weight, gave up all soda and am doing a lot better with the exercise.

Susan said...

So I have had many failures this year. Let's start with exercise, then move to healthy eating, then not running in the 5 k I trained for, not writing in my journal like i should, not keeping in touch with my friends who do not live around me and the list goes on :(. At least it is a new year!

MelancholySmile said...

i love the idea of a list of epic fails! My list this year is long. I basically survived the year at the expense of pretty much everything else. :) Looking forward to a New Year in order to remedy that.

Tobi said...

I love this list. Although it's hard for me to imagine you failing at anything. I always marvel at how much you accomplish even when you think aren't.

squeezeme said...

I love the fresh start of a new year. So curious about what 2011 will hold....I will definately have the tangible measureables goals in process of setting now (like more regular phone calls!!), but I plan this year to add a few "intangebles" like more humility & complete honesty....these will be harder to "track" but I so hope that one year from now results will be felt. Thank you for ALWAYS inspiring! Happy 2011!