October 8, 2010

Thrifted: A Furniture Love Story

006

Back in early May a certain piece of furniture caught my eye at the local Salvation Army.  To me it had all the markers of a promising relationship:  solid wood construction, tongue and groove joints, classic lines, gorgeous hardware and the true selling point – a $50 price tag.  I plopped down the cash, had two very burly men heft it into my trusty van and with that made a commitment to love and cherish the piece for as long as I live.

I came home and immediately sanded down the top to see if the potential I’d sensed in the thrift store was actually there. It was! I eagerly snapped this picture for the blog and my mind set to recreating the neglected piece into something fabulous.  And that’s as far as I got.

For the past four and a half months the piece has occupied the parking spot of one dear Hubby in our garage.  Said Hubby has been very patient with me.  He has walked out to his car in the heat, humidity, pouring rain and mosquito infested sky. He has gently inquired as to whether or not “the piece” was on my to do list.  He has lovingly moved it around in the garage so I could reach other needed items.  He has been a real good sport.

About a month and a half ago the real good sport decided it was time to upgrade his viewing of real good sports.  So he bought himself a very large television. And it sat in a box waiting for a perfect piece of furniture on which to showcase it’s awesomeness.

Next, a certain college best friend’s visit became imminent.  And I started to feel a little pressure. Pressure from the garage that wanted to house a car again.  Pressure from the TV that wanted to broadcast college football, baseball playoffs and basektball games. Pressure from the impending visitors {although the visitors actually didn’t pressure me, but the idea of visitors did} and pressure from myself because I knew I’d waited too long to just get it done. Never once did the Hubby pressure me.  Okay, maybe once. I had to act!

So, after a very productive Saturday of sanding with the Hubby, I set to work priming and painting.  A soft shade of gray {Glidden’s Nantucket Mist} covered the primer and old mahoghany stain in two coats.  Hardware was put back on in it’s original beat up condition and “the piece” was once again hefted by two burly men, but this time into the basement instead of the van.

IMG_7746

It is a perfect home for the Hubby’s new TV!  The many cupboards and drawers hold our Wii system, all its games and mulitiple game accessories – included a Wii Fit Board.  A top divided drawer once used for silverware is perfect for TV & DVD remotes.  IMG_7749

I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out. The kids are pleased with the new Wii setup.  The TV is pleased that it’s being used. My college friend showered my efforts with praise.

The garage and Hubby – well, pleasing them hasn’t quite happened yet. I’ve just got one more piece of furniture to take care of until the car can fit back in the garage.

Anybody want to buy a darling white corner cupboard with beadboard backing?

I am one lovesick puppy.

ps.  You may have noticed some other new features in the basement . . . more on that later.

7 comments:

christy said...

I love the piece! You did such a fabulous job. Now I am DYING to see the rest of your basement makeover reveal. I am stuck in house selling mode and need to live vicariously through your fun projects. I can't wait to see more...

AllisonK said...

can you come decorate for me. This is BEAUTIFUL! Love the color, I adore that you kept the original hardware. The walls are wonderful.

Apis Melliflora said...

Such a beautiful compliment to an already fantastic basement re-do! You have a really great eye for coordinating a color palette.

The Queen Vee said...

Great job Samantha, it's amazing what you are able to do considering all that you have on your daily plate. A great find, a little bit of moola and a lot of effort on your part and voila, a gorgeous TV stand.

Emily said...

Alright, how many inches is that TV? The "husbird" would be so jealous. Love how the basement is looking. Can't wait to see more.

kkerr said...

Looks fantastic!

Tobi said...

I love that you can look at things and see it's potential. Me I got zilch on that skill. I can't wait to see the rest of the basement.