October 7, 2010

Times and Seasons . . .

IMG_7708

I found this unusual hourglass at the Paris Street Market in Denver last weekend.  I am fascinated by it.  I can sit and stare at the tiny grains of sand as they slip through in a steady stream to the other side, wondering how the they, like the moments in my life, seem so still if only for a minute but in hindsight have actually passed by too quickly.

For instance, how is it that my first born who just yesterday seemed little enough to snuggle me in bed and let me pick out his clothes, is now old enough to stay up late, never want to go to bed, and balks at my suggestion that he wear a jacket because it has suddenly turned chilly out?

And how is it that my sweet Hannie B. can be old enough,  responsible enough and nurturing enough to step in seamlessly as ‘second mom’ when I am running a boy to practice or completing a quick errand in the neighborhood?

And how is it that the boy who holds my heart in his hands {yes, RedDog} has finally reached the point where he immediately wants to go play with friends after school when he used to be content just spending a little time with his momma?

And how on Earth is it even possible that my Owlie baby can walk around with the phone up to his ear, babbling in serious conversation, then pretend to listen to an iPod before settling down for only ONE nap a day?  How is it that he can understand what the word GO means and will wait by the door until we actually do go? Or that he can look at each member of our family when I say their names. And fold his tiny 15 month old arms for a prayer over the dinner?

See what I mean?  Too fast!  Being a mom is hard for so many reasons.  But I think one of the reasons it’s hardest is because it’s impossible to stop time. The sands just keep on slipping and we watch these precious children of ours growing, learning and letting go.  It’s fleeting and fragile and beautiful, and just like my new hourglass the individual memories and tiny grains of sand are piling up as time goes by.

IMG_7709

8 comments:

christy said...

Great post. I agree wholeheartedly. I've been feeling the same lately and trying to be excited about each of those similar milestones instead of mourning them.

Apis Melliflora said...

That hourglass is mesmerizing, especially with the morning light in the background. All we can do is enjoy each grain as it passes, record it as best we can and repeat. I think you're doing a great job at both!

MelancholySmile said...

Beautiful hourglass. Beautiful thoughts as well. :)

Tobi said...

I couldn't agree more. My kids are growing up too fast.

The Queen Vee said...

You will be glad you have your blog memories as a reminder because the mind can hold but not always recall all those tiny grains of sand.

Kernal Ken said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kernal Ken said...

Beautifully done, as always. Congratulations on having passed the 100,000 blog visitor milestone since 2007!
Who da thunk that a dragonfly could attract so much attention by her musings? Me, for one. You are a clever idea creator and a superb writer. Enough to make a dad proud...

Bells said...

I just took my kids to Toy Story 3 today and I sat and cried through the whole thing because my kids are growing up too fast! I can't/don't want to imagine what I will do when everyone is all grown up. I've loved each stage and I do love where they are at now and where they are going, but still saying good bye is hard to do.