October 6, 2010

Looking Backwards: An Ancestral Wall How To . . .

IMG_7696

“People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors.” -- Edmund Burke

I’ve been thinking a lot about family lately.  My little family comprised of the Hubby and our four monkeys. My family of origin.  My long lost sister. My extended family. Those who came years, decades and centuries before me. These are the people and relationships that mean the most to me. These are the people who’ve helped form the person I am.

Along those lines, I thought it about time to share with you somewhat of a family tradition today in the form of my Ancestral Wall. 

This is the view from the entry foyer of my home. Without fail, those who enter my home for the first time draw their eyes upward and instantly remark on the photos of faces past that line the walls of our upper hallway.

I grew up with a wall like this in my  home.  As a girl I still remember walking past the faces, wondering what story might accompany each one, adoring small, solemn-faced children in starched collars and marveling that one of them even looked a bit like me.

When the Hubby and I joined forces, I pestered his mother for aged photos of grands and great grands to pair with my own ancestors. Along with the photos, I requested names and brief stories if possible. After a brief “gathering period” our Ancestral Wall was born and now my children walk past the faces of their relatives, wondering like I did as a child.

Would you like to have an Ancestral Wall?  Here’s my version of a quick and easy how to:IMG_7701

  1. Gather original black and white photos of your ancestors. I recommend starting with your own parents and working backwards three to four generations. My favorites are the pictures that represent events – weddings, baby blessings, college portraits, etc.
  2. Scour your local thrift stores, garage sales, TJ Maxx, Wal-mart and Target for various sized frames. You can go with all one color for a streamlined look or mix finishes like I did for a more eclectic look. Keep in mind that spray paint can transform just about any frame from hideous to high end.
  3. Scan all originals, save them to a flash drive or CD and go to your local Costco or Wal-mart for printing. Make sure to vary the sizes you print for a more dramatic effect.
  4. Mat and frame your photos. My mats are from the craft store. Only two had to be professionally cut. Not all my photos have mats, but most do.
  5. Measure your wall space.  Lay your frames on the floor, arranging and rearranging until you find a pleasing grouping that will work in the allotted space.  Take a picture of the arrangement and begin by hanging the center top frame first, then continuing with the rest of the top row, referencing your picture for spacing.  I chose to go with a somewhat symmetrical grouping, but an Ancestral Wall would also look great as a more free form grouping.
  6. Level off your frames and put small pieces of painter’s tape on the corners of all the frames to secure them to the wall.  Do this and trust me – otherwise it will become your hubby’s job to “dust and level” the frames before guests come over and he will despise you for it.
  7. Enjoy and honor the people who’ve made you YOU!

  IMG_7700

I’d love to hear if you have an Ancestral Wall or decide to adopt this idea for you home!

Ps. I’ve officially been interviewed about being a “Mommy Blogger”.  Now I’m sweating . . . did I represent us well?

3 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

This post speaks to my heart (and my inner decorator). Now that I have an official "how to," I must put this plan into action.

The Queen Vee said...

Love those ancestors and my posterity, they are all intertwined.

Amy Lynne said...

We have an Ancestral Wall and I love it! It's been in two houses now and it will continue to be in any future home too. I love looking at my grandparents when they were youngsters! It's also a great conversational piece.