June 3, 2010

Castle Idol 2010

One of my favorite parts of our annual beach trip is the fierce competitive spirit that surfaces during nightly card games, rounds of Settlers of Catan and of course, during the highly anticipated Castle Idol.  The competition is fiery and tough.  There is much smack talk and teasing.  And only one structure can take home the title.

Last year the Knoll family brought their ‘A Game’, while my Photobro and I ended our alliance and opted to try solo endeavors.  This did not favor us, but I will continue to blame my failure not on lack of his presence, but the presence of a very large 8 1/2 month pregnant belly.

This year most of us Carlson/Lee types were resigned to the fact that the Knolls would bring it.  And they would win it.  We’re not quitters, but it’s a well known fact that the Knolls are artistically minded and come with a plan, which when {always} well executed, makes it nigh impossible for others to qualify for a win.

When the castle building began, I was sitting in a chair with Ollie as the Knolls quickly got to work on their plan.  My Photobro also got to work, heaping up sand into a large round mound.  I couldn’t help it.  I chose to get up off my duff and rejoin the partner with whom I’d had the greatest success in the castle building business!  Two such creative minds were bound to be victorious, right? {insert snickering here}

When it was all said and done, neither we nor the Knolls chose to build an actual castle.  Also entered in this year’s competition were the Queen, Big C and Hannie B.  We had an anonymous passerby stop and judge our handiwork.  Here, for your enjoyment, are pictures from Castle Idol 2010:

IMG_5989
IMG_5990 IMG_5993
IMG_5994
IMG_6000
IMG_5991
IMG_5992
And while I can totally appreciate any sort of tribute to the epic, irreplaceable television show Lost, I am happy to report that my brother and I have once again regained the title of Castle Idol!  Our stylized sun was the anonymous judge’s favorite – and coincidentally matched a tattoo on her ankle.

‘Til next year . . .IMG_5998

ps.  Lots of new photos up on the photoblog . . . just click on that lovely dragonfly to the right.

4 comments:

Kasey said...

How fun!! Love the color you chose for the pictures too.

Tobi said...

I love Castle Idol. Too bad it only comes on once a year ;)

P.S. My family plays Uno. We are so fierce and crazy about this game that a friend of the family started calling it "Combat Uno".

Apis Melliflora said...

The sun definitely beats a 6 toed foot. I'm wondering how many admiring spectators you attracted?

The Queen Vee said...

We were all winners getting two good days on that sandy beach.