May 27, 2009

Castles Fit For A Queen . . .


{This cool Queen is serious about her castle building!}

In annual Bethany Beach tradition, we hit the beach on an overcast day and applied our greater architectural knowledge to the construction of splendid sand castles subject to viewing of and consequent judging by innocent passersby.

Castle Idol is serious business in these parts. There are titles to defend and creativity is key. Our friends the Knolls brought their "A Game" this year and even went as far as to do some internet research before joining the friendly competition. Unfortunately, Team Carlson (Photobro and I) was not to be this year. I couldn't manage to reach over my belly to do the serious work required to build a grand structure, so my bro was on his own. {Really it was all a strategy to make the Knolls feel better about last year's defeat.}

Some photos from the day, as well as a declared winner:

Preplanning and strategizing by Team Lee.

Good idea Hubby: Make the kid do the digging!


With this boy on my team I could win due to sheer cuteness.


Hey Hubby - whatcha building?

Most creative use of shells!

Nice elevation Photobro! Come find me next year.

My meager contribution: The iCastle {and though I didn't win, I did take great comfort in the fact that many a tween and teen stopped to admire my tech savvy sand creation}.

And the winner is {based on number of pictures taken by passersby}:

Castle Shrekenstein by the Knoll fam. Way to go guys! It was awesome.

5 comments:

Tobi said...

I think your iPod at least deserves an Honorable Mention. It's very creative and I would expect no less from such a savvy lady!

Apis Melliflora said...

I will be the Paula and say that all of you did a fantastic job! I've learned from my years of sandbox experience that it's not easy to keep all that sand in place long enough to build such masterpieces.

Like the Knoll's clever spray bottle!

The Carlsons said...

The Knolls did have a great display and I think that if your ipod could have been on the side of a mountain that it would have been a tougher decision by passerby's. I love watching you all create while I lounge in my beach chair. Ahh the bliss of beach life.

Lori Gerten said...

Sweet! And sweet birthday post!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

The Queen Vee said...

The losers will be ready next year, although it may all be in vain. The Knolls took us down, hard to complete with true artists.