December 15, 2014

My First Baby …

IMG_1607

Today he is seventeen. He woke up at 5:50 a.m. just like any other day. He didn’t want me to go out of my way to make him anything special for breakfast, even though I offered to. He was happy with a giant bowl of Lucky Charms.

Yesterday he taught a class of his peers at church. The Hubby was there and said he did a magnificent job fostering good discussion and teaching the group how they can become better shepherds to those in our congregation they have stewardship over.

He sits and watches TV with The Hubby and me at night. He laughs with us and yells enthusiastically during sporting events or discusses serious things like politics and war with us. I love spending that time with him.

Last week there was a lockdown at the High School in the early morning hour before school. My kids were both inside the school at the time. Christopher remained absolutely calm and hatched a plan with his chorus teacher to take the intruder out if he attempted to enter their classroom. That’s the kind of person he is. He would do anything to help others.

He’s goofy. Sometimes he acts like a T Rex – this hulking body with tiny uncool arms. It is my favorite. He also sings in the shower and smells a cup before he’ll drink out of it, which is equal parts bizarre and awesome.

IMG_0766

He is turning into a remarkable young man. He is smart, funny, sensitive and kind. I’m so glad he was the first person to call me Momma. Happy Birthday, Christopher!

4 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

He is great in all the ways you write about. Happy Birthday Big C!

The Queen Vee said...

I was thinking today that in one year he'll be old enough to go on a mission and it just left me shaking my head. He grew up so fast, which means I'm old and you momma, are getting there.

Love this boy/man child...you are all doing great. Great parents, Great Son means a soon to be Great independent man. There is no stopping time. He's following the plan and so are you.

Aiketa said...

Big C is a really cool kid! Happy Birthday to him! I hope he had a great day!
While I was reading, I thought that when I'm a mom, I want to be able to make a special breakfast for my kids on their birthday. It's a really cute and nice tradition. (I hope my job won't make it impossible.)

Janie said...

Though I've never Chris or any of your family, I feel I know you, thanks not only to your beautiful and sweet Mother, but this wonderful blog you do. Chris sounds like an awesome son to have. He has some big shoes to fill in belonging to this family and he is doing it well with the firm foundation he has been given to stand upon. Well done by all of you!! Happy Birthday Chris.