January 31, 2014

Thoughts On Streams . . .

mt stream

{Image via kw.traveller/flickr}

The Hubby and I went to our Washington D.C. temple last weekend. We go there to serve others and to receive inspiration from God. I love that I have a place to go where I can quite literally shut the entire world out for a few hours and think about my relationship with Him and how I can improve myself in His eyes. It is always a good thing for me.

While there I was thinking about the creation of this amazing Earth we’ve been placed upon. Specifically I was contemplating the purpose of water – the vast oceans, rivers, lakes and streams that populate this planet, refreshing and giving life to their surroundings, ebbing and flowing day in and day out, quenching the thirst of the living and breathing organisms of the world.

While I was pondering, a very organized and pointed thought entered my mind. It was a tiny nugget of revelation that I needed to hear to help me understand who I am and what I need to do. The thought was this:

“I have created YOU to be one of my streams.”

My first reaction was selfish and in protest. “But can’t I be a river? They’re so much bigger! They are used by so many people and are much more visible. Or a lake! Make me a lake. So calm and tranquil and still. I’d like to be a lake, please!”

I was calmly told,  “No. There are other people I need to be my rivers and lakes. You were meant to be a stream. You will pass through verdant woods and over rocky terrain. Some of the spaces you will have to work through will be difficult. Do not be afraid. I have made you capable of doing this. You will be quiet and lovely and small, but you will be important and give water to those who seek you out. I have made you this way for a reason. I need you and I love you.”

I sat meditating on this information, letting it seep into the corners of my soul.

I sometimes wonder why I am here, on this blog, writing. I am not one of the young guns, cranking out DIY projects left and right, attending the Alt Summit, moving and shaking in the big bloggy world. I’m just a middle aged house wife and momma trying to make life work every single day despite the craziness that is my existence.

I can be a stream if God needs me to. And I hope that if you are thirsty, you know you can come here for a little drink any time. I really, truly want that for anyone who comes here to read. The drink I have to offer is this: God is real. He knows each one of us personally and desires nothing more than for us to seek Him out, rely on Him to guide our lives, and turn to Him in our need.

I feel calm knowing that He wants me to be here writing. Not calm enough to be a lake. Because I am a stream. And now I can’t stop thinking of the line from a favorite children’s song.

“I’m small I know, but where ever I go, the grass grows greener still.”

Stream on.

7 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

Hello fellow stream, So glad to come here and feel refreshed daily from the flow of your words on the screen. You are not small to me.

AllisonK said...

We could have an entire conversation about this. I have wondered and asked questions, but I love your stream insight!!!!! LOVE IT! I am going to have to think about it more. You help me. Thank you for all you do.

amy said...

I've been reading your blog for 5 years now and have never commented. Just wanted to say that it is my favorite. For all the reasons you think you may be small- that is why I stop by everyday. Thanks for being an example of the kind of wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, neighbor, and citizen I want to be.

Jodi said...

I look forward to reading your blog each day. You have inspired me in so many ways over the years.
Thanks again!

The Queen Vee said...

Wow that's pretty deep thinking; are you really my daughter?

Compared to you I feel like a really shallow stream. Love you DF, love that I get to be your mama.

kkerr said...

So beautiful! I am grateful for you and this blog!

TracyS. said...

Beautiful thoughts! I always enjoy your fresh out look and ideas. Thanks for bringing water to those in need!