March 13, 2013

Decadence Becomes Me …

chocolate torte

Last night we had an evening for the women of our church congregation. It involved spiritual inspiration and CHOCOLATE. In my mind that is always, and I mean ALWAYS, a good combination.

I was asked to bring a decadent chocolate dessert to share. I immediately knew I’d be bringing a dessert I had tried at the Queen’s Dish.

It’s a chocolate torte and it is so rich and yummy. I paired it with some of Angela’s divine berry sauce and I have to say it was a match made in heaven.

If you ever need a fancy looking {and sounding!} dessert to serve guests, this is the one. Warning though – you’ll need a gallon of milk to serve with it because it is RICH. I can think of nothing fancier than a bunch of people drunk on chocolate with milk mustaches.

Oh, and double bonus, it’s flourless, so your gluten free friends will be doing a serious happy dance. Triple bonus, it takes 45 minutes to make from start to finish!

You should make this as soon as an occasion warrants it. You can thank me later.

Flourless Chocolate Torte – Gourmet Magazine 1997

Ingredients:

4 oz fine quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter

3/4 cup sugar

3 large eggs

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and butter an 8-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with a round of wax paper that has been buttered.

Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring until smooth. remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well. Sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven for 25 minutes or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on rack for 5 minutes and invert onto serving plate.

Dust cake with additional cocoa powder and serve with sorbet (or berry sauce) if desired.

Cake will keep after being cooled completely in an airtight container for one week.

Yield: one 8-inch cake.

3 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

Yum chocolate, my favorite health food.

TracieCarter said...

Awesome! And simpler than the one I tried making a month ago. Oh how I love dark chocolate! I'd love to bake it in a carameled pecan crunchy crust like the one at Tuscarora Mills with a few raspberries and a dollop of whipping cream. Am I thinking of the right place there in L-burg?

Aiketa said...

This photo is so beautiful. What I like best though, being not a real fan of chocolate, is the cake stand. I almost bought myself one the other day... but then decided I will wait until I have my own place.