January 2, 2012

My Three Measly Goals …

2011-12 (Dec)

Here they are for all the world to see. Three things I hope to do this year. These are my goals. Chosen by me to improve me. I chose them independent of each other, but afterwards noticed that all three have to do with self discipline – something I find myself lacking frequently but desiring often.

#1 – MOVE MORE. The fact of the matter is I don’t exercise. Not enough. Not really at all.  I’ve got a gym membership and a baby big boy who hates the gym daycare.  I’ve also got a cart load of other excuses keeping me from being fit. Speaking of fit, my pants don’t anymore and I’ve promised my son I’ll run a 5K with him this year, so it’s time to move. More. My goal is three times a week at the gym and more moving with my kids in the house – dancing, chasing, lifting and laughing, probably all while wetting my pants.

#2 – MEDITATE DAILY. I know how important it is to make quiet time for myself each day. Time NOT spent on the computer. This quote by Spencer W. Kimball has been on my mind lately:
“I find that when I get casual in my relationships with divinity and when it seems that … no divine voice is speaking, that I am far, far away. If I immerse myself in the scriptures the distance narrows and the spirituality returns.”
I can totally relate to that thought. My life is a peak and valley landscape of closeness to and distance from God. I need Him, His guidance, His presence, His influence. Since I love reading and I love God, I’m pretty sure I can make time every day to show my love for both and in so doing, grow closer to Him.

#3 – SPEND LESS. I will go on record as saying this will be the hardest goal for me.  But I am determined. Even though some people think I’m crazy.  I want to talk about this goal in a little more detail on the blog, so for now I’ll just say that I spend money without thinking.  Now I’m going to think about it more. And spend it less.

So I started these goals yesterday and I’m proud to say I’m three for three. Ha! I’d love to hear what you hope to do this year.  Anyone up for sharing a goal or two? Word on the street is you’ll feel more accountable if you share your goals with someone else. 

6 comments:

JulieB said...

It's good to have you back blogging. I also make only 2 or 3 simple goals every year, and spend less is a big one of mine this year too! Especially on groceries. I look forward to your thoughts on that one.

The Queen Vee said...

Not a measly goal among them, each one is pretty demanding I would say. I know you can achieve success in all three of your choices so go forth and conquer, you have my blessing.

Apis Melliflora said...

I really like your ambition and your three goals. I'm especially glad about the last one as I plan to emulate you later this year for a shorter period of time.

My goal is the same as last year, in the broad brushstrokes: happier, healthier me & happier, healthier marriage.

MelancholySmile said...

I know I should be focusing on nobel and spiritual goals, but all I can think about is the pounds that haven't budged since Baby R was born. Ridding myself of them is my one and only goal this year, no matter how cliche and vain it sounds. :)

Aiketa said...

I haven't decided on any goal yet... (maybe there are many things I would like to accomplish that I don't know which one to choose {and I need to choose because I know I'm not able to accomplish all of them this year})... but sure spending less is something I need to focus on and exercising more should be too.

I've been really lazy lately, I always find an excuse to not go to the gym... it's not good!

AllisonK said...

Love the blog make over!

Love the President Kimball quote!

Great goals!