January 3, 2012

Gifted & Handmade: A Timeline …



The Hubby and I made a deal for Christmas.  We wouldn’t buy each other gifts because we’d just taken a dreamy {and expensive!} vacation to the Caribbean together.

Neither of us kept our end of the deal.  But I tried. And to my credit, one of the gifts I gave him was handmade and cost me ZERO dollars.

I found the idea on Pinterest. Oh, how I love Pinterest. Please tell me you know about Pinterest. I’ll indoctrinate you if needed. Because I love Pinterest.  I love it so very much.  Umm . . . where was I?

The original link is here. The concept is simple but so, so meaningful. Looking for a birthday gift for your spouse?  Looking for a reason to remind him how special he is?  Wanna make your man feel all gushy and lovey-dovey?  Or just want to remind him of your anniversary?

Here’s what I did:  I designed {in Microsoft Publisher} and framed the most important dates from our lives together – our birthdates, our wedding date and the birthdates of our children. I happened do us the colors from our bedroom because I wanted it to go on the Hubby’s bedside dresser. I incorperated a subtle ombre chevron pattern in the background and then used a frame we had in our “frame stash” in the basement.  The finishing touch was a tag on the gift that read: “The BEST days of my life have been spent with you.”

It was a hit! And I loved doing it, because in all truth, while I was making this gift, I really did think about how all the best things in my life are mine because I married my Hubby.  Handmade and meaningful wins in my book EVERY TIME.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi friend!
Nice blog, I went through your blog & i like your presentation for your husbands b'day. Well i can say its the most expensive gift you are giving him.
Thanks dear. Wish your family a lovely life.
More gifts from birthday gifts for men.

Aiketa said...

Love your present!!! And... I think I'm going to use your idea! I have no money and I still have to give presents to my family (we exchange them on January 6th), so it's perfect!!!

Also I have decided to create some wall calendar for them too with family photos. So great, now I have two presents!

Thank you Samantha, you always inspire me!

Oh, and I know what pinterest is but... I refuse to create an account because I don't have much time and I know I will spend many hours there. So, just in case...

Happy New Year to all your fam!

Apis Melliflora said...

Very modern and masculine. I bet he loved it. It's amazing what a talented crafter with an eye for classic style & design can do with the supplies on hand.

Anonymous said...

That is AWESOME! :-)

lee kriel said...

so stealing this! love the idea...thanks for sharing!

MelancholySmile said...

Aaah, the lovely ombré zigzag makes another appearance! What a great idea. I'm sure he'll treasure it!

Dan and Bec said...

That is such a great idea Samantha! Thanks for sharing!
I loved getting your family Christmas card again this year. You have such a cute family. I'd love to get together soon and catch up.

jennifer's little things said...

Fabulous gift! I am totally stealing this idea!

(Can't do pinterest, though, I'm afraid it would suck me into a dangerous vortex......)

The Queen Vee said...

Lovely, clever, thrifty and meaningful.

AllisonK said...

I have wanted to try and this since I first saw it on pinterest, thanks for the inspiration.