December 6, 2011

Sparkle, Sparkle …

There are so many things to love about this time of year:  cookies, carols, the fresh scent of evergreen in the air, more time with family.  And of course, GLITTER! 

Man, I love me some glitter at Christmastime!  I’ve got gold glittered ornaments all over my tree.  I’ve pretty much raided Target for the $1 glittered snowflakes for the past three years.  And this year I’ve got some really nice stars covered in antique German glass glitter. Swoon worthy, for sure.

As I prepared the ho-hum invitation for my recipe group this month I decided it would be made instantly more festive with a glittered edge. Here’s a quick how to:

1. Print and cut your invitations {or use store bought, for crying out loud!}. With a piece of paper underneath to protect your wipeable plastic table cloth, carefully line the edges of the card with good ol’ fashioned Elmer’s school glue.

It doesn’t have to be perfect because it’s going to be covered in glitter. Just try to keep the glue as much to the edge as possible.

2. Empty some of your glitter {I got mine for 40% off from JoAnns} into a pie plate, cake pan, loaf pan, etc.  Then, while your glue is still wet, dip all of the card edges into the glitter.

3.  Place your invitations, not touching, on a cooling rack to let them dry.

4. Ooh and ahh over how festive the edges look.  Sigh.  Then exclaim glitter to be your best friend. Next gently place invitations into preaddressed stamped envelopes and send them off in the mail to be received with joy by friends.

There are some people who despise glitter due to its sticky, gets into every crack and crevice nature.  But I say Hooray! for glitter.  I love seeing it on the floor, in Hannie B.’s hair, and even on my own face after a day spent crafting.

How about you?  Where do you fall in the glitter camp?

8 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

I sure do hope you've got a scrapbook going of all the amazing invitations you've made.

This one is absolutely festively gorgeous.

Glitter is a bear to clean up, but at Christmas time, I don't mind.

christy said...

I'm a glitter lover. Ryan's a big-time hater. I don't know why he wouldn't love every surface of our bathroom covered in leftover spray glitter from Halloween. Sheesh. What a Grinch.

LJB said...

Call me a Grinch, but I am not so much of a glitter lover! I think its pretty and will admire from a far, but it is not found in my craft room. But I do love your invitations, beautiful!

LJB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Queen Vee said...

You can never have too much glitter in your life!

Apis I'm keeping book on all the invites from your clever sis!

MelancholySmile said...

I'm a {recent} glitter addict, for sure! Those invites are divine!

Tobi said...

Glitter has always been and always will be marvelous! However my husband thinks glitter is evil. If only I could change is anti glitter attitude.

Aiketa said...

I'm not such a lover of glitter. I hate it when I have it on my hands and then to anything I touch... but I do love it on crafts... I know, it doesn't make much sense.