December 12, 2011

An Inspired Christmas Table …

There is a Christmas dinner for the women at our church tonight.  I was asked if I would decorate one of the tables.  That’s like asking a little kid if he wants candy. Uh, YEAH!

I have to admit, I had a few possibilities to choose from. I thank my mother for giving me dish-loving DNA.

As usually happens,  my idea for the table came to me as I was lying in bed one night trying to fall asleep. {Aside: What is with that? Why do I always get ideas when I’m flat on my back with my Hubby snoring gently next to me? And then my mind starts racing and I CAN. NOT. SLEEP.}

The idea this time was to veer away from the traditional Christmas reds and greens and focus on something a little more earthy and humble that gave a nod to the stable birth of the Savior.

I’m going to pause here and tell you {in italics even} that NO ONE else who is doing a table is as weird as I am. Nor would they EVER share with you the depth of the lunacy I am about to share. I am strange.  I am an over thinker.  And I embrace it.  I’m pretty sure everyone else is just bringing dishes to put on a table. Not me.  I can’t make anything that easy.

My table will include: 

  • a burlap tablecloth which made me think of the homespun fabrics Mary, Joseph and the shepherds might have worn.
  • simple pottery dishes with soft patterns.
  • gold snowflake coasters, which reminded me of the star that shone the night He was born.
  • a cream linen napkin, which represents the swaddling clothes the Savior was wrapped in.
  • a small nest to honor the animals who gave their home to the small babe of Bethlehem.
  • two gold “eggs” to represent the Father and the Son.
  • a “Rejoice” sign for each nest {not finished yet} as a nod to the angels who sung His praises that night.

So, there you have it.  I think it’s lovely.  And I know the evening will be too.  My table may be the odd duck at the party, but it’s inspiring to me.

14 comments:

christy said...

Love it. Beautifully done as always.

Apis Melliflora said...

Such a thoughtful presentation and totally in keeping with your muted, subtle, beautiful approach to Christmas decorating.

I'm sure the ladies will appreciate it.

LRae said...

That is so pretty! Love the symbolism behind it to. Did you embellish the bird nests with extra twigs or did they come that way?

The Dragonfly said...

LRae, I bought the bird nests as you see them at Michael's and JoAnn's craft stores. They're in the floral arranging sections with shells, fake fruit, etc.

MelancholySmile said...

Oh my goodness, what a feast for the eyes! I think the gold eggs are especially stunning. You may think you're odd for over-thinking, but I propose that you're just a designer at heart. It's a beautiful table with perfect colors and texture. Bravo!

Christa said...

that is why I read your stuff cause you put so.....much thought into everything. (I thought I was the only one like this) :-) It is beautiful and special. Enjoy!

Aiketa said...

So so beautiful!!! You are a champ Samantha!

The Queen Vee said...

See, you didn't need a thing from me.

The Queen Vee said...

I wish I could use burlap in my home but it's made from Jute and I'm allergic to Jute.

Meaja said...

I love the meaning behind each one your intentions. Simply rich.

Bells said...

Absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Suzy J said...

can I sit at that table please? Amazing!

lee kriel said...

just beautiful. love, love, love.

Tobi said...

Marvelous Darling. Simply Marvelous! I love that you overthink everything. =)