December 15, 2011

An Open Letter to Big C …

IMG_1946

Big C,

Fourteen years ago at this exact time (7:55 am) I was hooked up to machines and IVs waiting to find out if you were a boy or a girl.  You took your time and at 6:30 pm finally decided to make your grand appearance on life’s stage.

You blew me away then and you’ve been doing it ever since.

Fourteen years ago I would rub the bottom of your tiny, soft foot while I nursed you.  Now your foot is bigger than mine and dad’s and still growing.

Fourteen years ago you fit in the crook of my arm, curled up so snug and warm. Now your gangly teenaged body has to curl up to fit in your full-sized bed.

Fourteen years ago you were as bald as a cue ball.  Now your head is covered with a mop of thick blonde curls.

Fourteen years ago I had to look down into your blue eyes to tell you everything was going to be okay.  Now you are the one looking down at me saying, “It’s okay, Mom!”

Fourteen years ago I would sing songs to you {poorly} to help you fall asleep.  Now you’re singing solos in front of hundreds of people.

Fourteen years ago I put a plush basketball in your crib.  Now you’re scoring twenty points in a game.

Fourteen years ago I had hopes and dreams for you to be a wonderful, caring, sensitive, kind boy.  And now . . . you are.

Happy Birthday Big C.  You amaze me every day.

Love,

Mom

6 comments:

Bells said...

I remember when he was born and how excited we all (everyone at work) was for you. I remember when you brought Big C to lunch and we all had einstein bagels and jamba juices. He dropped his binky and you licked it clean for him, such is a mother's love! You are a great mom and he is a great kid!

I had a fabulous dream last night that I came and visited you and of course we had a wonderful time!

Apis Melliflora said...

Happy Birthday Big C! It has been a joy to watch you grow so much over the past few years. It's been an amazing leap! Now, your goal is to grow taller than your Uncles. Go to it!

The Queen Vee said...

Fourteen years ago you were held in someone's arms for at least the first three weeks of your life.

Fourteen years ago I fell totally in love with you, fourteen years later I still am in love with you.

You're so cool Christopher Lee...Happy Birthday.

squeezeme said...

Chris, I remember coming to the hospital the day you were born. You were a darling little thing and now you are a handsome tall thing! Hope you have a very happy birthday!

Kernal Ken said...

Happy Birthday, Chris!

Several weeks ago, you out-drove me in the fairway on one hole. Soon, I expect you'll be doing that on every hole. I look forward to the day that you score for 18 holes will beat mine!

However, you still haven't beaten me in chess...

Keep moving forward, first grandchild! You're making all of us very proud to see your great achievements and strong character.

AllisonK said...

Happy Birthday!!

Time moves too quickly Samantha, doesn't it? Lovely post