October 24, 2011

Discovering Talent . . .

Okay, I can’t stand not writing. So I’m digging deep in the archives and using pictures from six months ago.  Hopefully the computer problems will get fixed this week.

On Friday Big C participated in an optional Five Mile Run at his Middle School. He came home and told me he felt like he did pretty good, even though he felt like throwing up when it was over. But he did not throw up, although three girls did and another passed out. This is the kind of information that makes Middle School interesting.

When I questioned him further about his run, he mentioned that he might have actually come in first.  I assumed he meant first in his PE class, but in fact he meant first out of the ninety Eighth Graders who did the run! And he did it in 30 minutes! What the what?

I can’t get over the shock of it! See, I loathe running more than just about any form of exercise.  I am simply awful at it. I will avoid it at all cost. And I’ve always thought Big C was a bit mediocre at running since Hannie B. can beat him in a foot race nine times out of ten.  It turns out that sprinting is not his forte, but distance running is quite ideal for him.

Here’s the thing:  I’ve been thinking about this all weekend, almost with a sense of guilt.  Am I, as a mother, doing all that I can to help my children find their talents?  Am I fostering an environment where they can understand what they are good at  and develop those things? I had no idea that Big C. had a runner inside of him.  What other hidden gifts are inside my children, waiting to be discovered?

I’ve always believed that one way we help our children to have positive self esteem is to help them find one thing they are exceptional at and then to help them develop that talent.

Seeing the excitement and joy Big C. had after finishing the run in top form was a great reminder to me that I need to continue to help my children discover and improve their talents.

How about you? How are you fostering your children’s talents?

11 comments:

Ronalin said...

Great photo of Chris, he is awesome! I am so impressed that he ran that fast. You may have a track star in the family.

Apis Melliflora said...

Hidden talents lie within us all. Even us big kids.

I think between you, the schools and the church, you've got fertile ground for discovering and developing talents.

I also think the running gene might just come from the Hubby's side of the family.

TooTall said...

Ummm.. that is a 6 minute mile! Holy Cow!! Only in my dreams! That is impressive that he can run like without training! Aaaahhhh, to be young again! I agree with Melissa, you are providing the right environment to discover talents! What a great thing to discover at a young age! You need to talk to his PE teacher and see what he needs to do to get ready for spring track season! Too bad he already missed cross country season!

TracyS. said...

Way to go!

The Queen Vee said...

What can I say, he's impressive and cool....love that boy/man.

Hopefully he'll use his talents to run away form the girls.

Anonymous said...

That's my boy! He can ride a bike too!
-Biggest C

AllisonK said...

I am CONSTANTLY learning new things about my children. I don't know that I will ever be together.

Congratulations to Chris. That is WONDERFUL!

Kasey said...

Wowza!!! That is awesome!! Love his curly hair!

Burton's blog said...

Sounds like he has hit the manchild stage where you will constantly be asking yourself, ummm where did that come from? Do I know my own child? Can be kinda cool to peek into his potential as an awesome young man!

Kernal Ken said...

Big. C and I had a conversation about this run before it occurred. He knew that he was good at distance running. Like Samantha, I never enjoyed distance running, although I did lots of it in the Army. My Mom, however, was a track star -- known as Moline's Fastest Woman. Must be the genes somewhere...Rangers lead the way!

Aiketa said...

Congratulation Big C!!! And way to go!