September 21, 2011

If It Weren’t Weird I’d Lick My Computer Screen . . .

IMG_1325

I haven’t posted a recipe in a long time. Might have something to do with my unannounced strike from the kitchen. I think I was officially the most pathetic cook on the planet this summer.  I just didn’t have it in me.  Too tired.  Too busy. Too hot. Too many picky kids.  But I’ve had this salad many times this summer and every time, the little gourmet chef hidden inside me did a happy dance, my tastebuds shouted hallelujah and a little tear of joy came to my eyes.

It’s a Barefoot Contessa recipe and it is DE-to-the-lish. So many amazing flavors and fresh ingredients. It’s great with anything grilled. I also love to make it to take to luncheons with girlfriends. I hope you’ll give it a try.  It’s a family fave.

Orzo With Roasted Vegetables

Ingredients:

1 red bell pepper, 1-inch diced

1 yellow bell pepper, 1-inch diced

1 red onion, peeled, 1-inch diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/3 cup good olive oil

1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1/2 pound orzo

For the Dressing:

1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)

1/3 cup good olive oil

1 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

To Assemble:

4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)

1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted

8 oz. good feta, 1/2-inch diced

15 fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt and pepper on large baking sheet. Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with spatula.

Meanwhile, cook orzo in boiling salted water for 7-9 minuts until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.

Add roasted vegetables to the pasta, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

For the dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and pour onto pasta and vegetables while pasta is still warm. Let cool to room temperature, then add scallions, pine nuts, feta and basil.  Serve at room temperature.

Adapted slightly from Barefoot Contessa Parties!

6 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

One of my flavorites too! But I can only make it when other adults are eating with us...my picky eaters are blind to its tasty charms.

Aiketa said...

Sure I would lick my computer screen if this way I could taste it. It looks delicious, though I'm not a huge fan of pepper...

Lucie said...

You saved my day or at least my meal. Up to your post I didn't know what to cook tonight. It was delicious. Thanks.

The Queen Vee said...

So that's why you took that home Monday night :D You're readers are missing out if they don't read your blog today, this pasta salad ROCKS.

Susan said...

Having been the recepient of this salad I can attest to how delicous it is!

Tobi said...

My mouth is watering. Looks delish. Must try this soon!!