September 22, 2011

Accidental Fashion . . .

Once upon a time, I had this really cute sweater that my sister Melissa gave me.  It used to be hers but she shrunk it, so it came to me – the girl who’s lacking a little something up top - if you get my drift.

Earlier this week, in anticipation of cooler weather, I was laundering some fall clothing and accidentally washed the sweater on hot and it came out much smaller than small.  I was about to begrudgingly chuck it in the “to donate” pile, when a thought popped into my head that it just might fit Hannie B.  

She tried it on and it was just a bit big, but we both agreed it still worked, since the style right now is for things to be a bit slouchy.  The problem was the arms.  They were about five inches too long. Then I remembered reading somewhere that a fine gauge sweater, when cut, will not fray, but instead will roll a little at the ends.  So I got out my sharpest fabric scissors and lopped those puppies right off.

Hannie B. looked darling in her new sweater. I’m so lucky to have a girl who is willing to go with my wacky ideas.  She’s not afraid of thrifted clothes or hand-me-down-clothes.  She’s awesome. I just love it when accidental fashion works out!

{How cute is it, by the way, that my sis would wear a sweater with a dragonfly on it? Love.}

9 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

She's a darling little fashionista and looking tres chic in her twiced hand-me-down sweater. Thank you Aunt Melissa and clever mom. It's weird all the queen, dragonfly and bee stuff that has been out and about since 2008.

Aiketa said...

I love the second picture! And you had a great idea because the sweater looks fantastic on her.

brendag said...

She is adorable!

Apis Melliflora said...

How adorable! I knew that sweater would eventually find the perfect home. Hannie B is totally rockin' it. I thought of you, Dragonfly, when I bought it, but I only wore it once or twice.

Excellent re-fashioning!

christy said...

Darling! So glad you had the thought to save it. I've donated a few items recently and then had regret when I thought of something amazing I could have done with them that I didn't think of in time.

We are FAM-I-LEE said...

Love it! She looks great.

Tobi said...

You always have the best stories!! And that is one adorable sweater!

Susan said...

Love the outfit! Hannah as always looks very chic :) All those fashionable women in her life have had a great impact on her. She is just so stylish.

Anonymous said...

How perfect could it be, this hand-me-down with a happy ending. But, then with cute Hannah as recipient and her stylin' mama, it was bound to be a winner.
Linda