June 16, 2011

Rain and Rainbows . . .

Despite cloudy skies and sprinkling rain, we held our last day of school party in the back yard with our neighborhood friends yesterday. 

I decided that if I was going to make the cake again this year, it needed to be part of an over all color scheme, so we went rainbow everywhere.

Since last year’s cake was so heavy and nearly fell over when I cut it, I made the layers thinner this year.  I also used a new buttercream frosting that was ah-mazing.

IMG_0282

This year we decided to have a little photo booth with a few props for the kids to wear and have their pictures taken.  They were cute.

IMG_0283IMG_0284IMG_0285IMG_0287IMG_0290IMG_0286IMG_0288IMG_0289IMG_0291IMG_0292IMG_0293IMG_0294IMG_0298

We also had a scavenger hunt with challenges the kids had to do at different houses in the ‘hood’ and an obstacle course they had to complete before we could cut the cake.

IMG_0259IMG_0260

To end the fun we made our summer wishes and let go of balloons ala Nie into the atmosphere.  Owlie was troubled by it and kept saying “Byoons come back!”, but it was a lovely sight to watch the colors fly away and become tiny specks in the sky.

IMG_0300

I’d say it was a pretty great start to the summer!

13 comments:

Z. Marie said...

It all looks so fun! Which brand of food coloring do you use to achieve that color?

The Queen Vee said...

Spectacular, you out did yourself my dear. Love the photos, Jonah wins the prize for the coolest Nerd evah! You have created great memories for your kids and their friends. I give you an A+++!

TracyS. said...

I think the cat ears inspired the best photos. It looks like a lovely time.

Sue said...

Can you be my mom?

squeezeme said...

Happy, happy summer to you dragonfly momma! You survived the last month of school and that's like surviving December without the jolly cheer! What fun backyard festivities to kick off summer! Can't wait to see you......

Apis Melliflora said...

I love everything about this party, but the cake still takes the cake ( with the picture booth as a close second).

Anonymous said...

The hostess with the mostest. That's what you are. Everyone wants to be on your A list.
Linda

MelancholySmile said...

What a great party! Lucky kids. :) I want a slice of that cake....

Anonymous said...

You win the BEST MOM AWARD ever!! Personally I love the rainbow color scheme. I've already declared on my blog that rainbow is the official color of freedom. =)

Aiketa said...

What an amazing party!!! I wish I had parties like this when I was little.
And that cake, looks really yummy!
You are an awesome mom, Samantha!

jennifer's little things said...

The last time you made that cake, I was inspired to try my own - which I did for our last day of school party last year. We, too, released balloons Nie-style.

Looks like you had a fun afternoon!

Sadie said...

What a cute idea to do a rainbow theme! Thanks for taking photos of everything. It's so fun to see all your cute ideas.

Emily said...

How do you find the energy? You never cease to amaze me! Beautiful cake!