December 16, 2010

Neighbor Gift 2010 . . .

IMG_8609

Do you do neighbor gifts at Christmas? We have since we moved here seven years ago.  Though we are close with several of neighbors, this is the one time of year we reach out to more of the families on our street to let them know we’re thinking of them and grateful they make up our community.

Usually a neighbor gift involves me making mass quantities of something, like The Ginger Snaps or Cinnamon Rolls, which we take door to door while singing carols as a family. It might be considered borderline obnoxious since the Hubby and I can’t sing, but oh well. 

This year some of the people we’re sharing with have dietary restrictions so I decided to do something easy that would fill our neighbor’s homes with the delicious smell of Christmas: a simmering potpourri.

IMG_8610

You’re looking at the ingredients right here – a whole orange, a fourth of a cup of fresh cranberries and one heaping tablespoon each of whole cloves and cinnamon sticks.  Like I said, EASY!

After searching around locally for bulk cinnamon and whole cloves, {which were ridiculously priced} I found an online retailer up in  Pennsylvania with really reasonable prices. Oranges and cranberries were purchased in bulk from Costco.  Not only is this gift easy to put together, it is also easy on the wallet!

We assembled all the bags, attached instructions and a festive ribbon, and now our neighbors can enjoy the heavenly smell of Christmas for up to two weeks.

IMG_8611

I wish I could send one to each and every one of you.  Instead, I’m going to give you free stuff! So don’t forget to enter the December Giveaway.  It closes tonight at 5 PM EST.  I’ll announce the winner tomorrow so I can get the package in the mail pronto! So check in tomorrow to see if you’re the lucky winner.  Happy Friday!

Edited to add: The directions read as follows:

Quarter the orange.  Place with all other ingredients in a small saucepan. Fill with water and simmer on low. Enjoy the smell of Christmas! Refill water as needed. Will last for one to two weeks.

7 comments:

Christa said...

Oh my goodness. What an awesome idea. I was going to bake tomorrow for them, but I am going to do this instead. Love it...different....easy....and....creative. Thanks!

Dion Seneca said...

Ooooh, I love this! I have received this as a gift before, and it was always my favorite gift! I always just cook it up, not paying any attention as to what is in it, and then wished I had written down the ingredients. Now I know what I need to make my own. Thanks!

P.S. I'm not sure if you have checked my blog at all about my Argentine adventure, but it is coming to an end, and we will be spending some time in your neck of the woods until the kids finish out the school year. We will have to get together!

Apis Melliflora said...

Great idea! We could use some sweet smelling stuff around here today; the barfing sickness has arrived.

christy said...

We've done this exact thing the last 2-3 years and I love it. The only difference is I always slice my oranges and add lemon and lime slices, too. The kids can help and I don't have to worry about them sharing their germs amidst the process because no one's going to eat it. Love it.

KitKat said...

Sam...Please share the directions. I can't read it clearly on the tag. I want to copy this idea for a wonderful neighbor who is impossible to buy for!

Christa said...

Thanks for adding the directions. Still trying to find the ingredients.

Jessie said...

This is the best neighbor gift idea ever! Easy, pretty and natural, and original. I may have to steal it.