December 16, 2010

A Green Christmas . . .

IMG_8662

On a normal day I’m able to send my kids off to school, feed my little Owlie boy and sit down at the computer for a few minutes to write.  Today has not been a normal day.

Hannie B. had a solo in the 5th Grade Choir concert at 8:30 this morning, so I had to be showered and ready to go with baby bathed and ready to go at 8:00. Then I had a meeting for church that was full of laughter and cookies and delicious candles as gifts. During that meeting it began to snow.  And then the phone call came from school to say the kids would be let out two hours early due to poor road conditions. I had to race home from my meeting to beat the kids to the door. Hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls were in order for snack followed by quizzing for tomorrow’s spelling tests.

And now here I am blogging in the middle of the day, feeling a little out of sorts because ideas tend to pile up in a jumble in my brain if I don’t get them out. 

The title of this post may lead you to believe that I am going to save the planet one Christmas at a time.  Not so. It actually refers to the dominant color in our décor for the holidays.  Two years ago I rid my Christmas of red.  I know, I know. Call me a Scrooge. Whatever.  It’s just that there really isn’t any red in my house and it felt rather garish with the creams, greens and blues I already had in my home. 

Now I use mostly green, gold, silver and some browns and blues in my Christmas decorations and they seem more like a natural extension of our home instead of something I just slapped up randomly. Here are a few photos of our Christmas bedecked home.

IMG_8655

IMG_8660

IMG_8664

IMG_8666

IMG_8663

IMG_8658

IMG_8671

IMG_8668

IMG_8673

IMG_8669

Magnolia branches are courtesy of a great neighbor.  The beautiful Santa was made by the same talented woman that made my wedding dress. And the rest of the décor is either from Target, Wal-Mart or thrift stores!

Have you entered the December Giveaway yet?  It closes at 5 PM EST tomorrow! Just leave a comment on the giveaway post and get an extra entry by following my blog.

4 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

Your Christmas decor is so soothing to the eye. I especially like your three-tiered ornament server. We're all about the red here. From red pointsettias to red balls and bows. Truth be told, I can only stand it for about a month.

Christa said...

Just love your decorating style. I got rid of the red years ago too. Actually I did it slowly red, then went to cranberry color now it is gone and I love it and find it much more calm also.

The Queen Vee said...

You home looks gorgeous and ready for celebrating. I found two more ornaments for your tree today.

brendag said...

LOVE your decor it looks gorgeous. Our home has deep yellow, green and red walls and decor so we have lots of red at Christmas.