December 14, 2010

Oh Momma . . .

IMG_8605

I think it is safe to say that for me food and the holidays are intrinsically connected. So many of my happy memories at this time to year are tied to a smell, like cinnamon and cloves, or a texture, like the crunch of a cookie.  What does it mean? It means that during the holidays, I eat.  And I cook. And I share. And I eat some more.  It’s pretty much fantastic.

Remember when I said candy making is tricky stuff? Imagine how I felt when a friend showed up on my doorstep this week with a box of chocolates. All handmade. By. HER.  She had just told me a week ago about her mother who was desperately in need of a job years ago and had walked into a chocolate factory and lied to the manager about her knowledge of chocolate making.  She knew nothing but told him she knew how to do it all. Then she went home and prayed to God to help her figure it out so she could keep the job so she could support her family. WOW. What a brave woman.

In time, mother passed her knowledge to daughter and both were able to claim the title of chocolatier. Then one day that daughter passed the fruits of her labor on to me.  And I could not be more grateful, not just because I got the box of beautiful {and help me momma, so delicious} chocolate, but also because I got to hear the amazing story.

Need a closer look? Here ya go:

IMG_8608

My favorite was the almond pecan toffee {middle, far left}.

Hubby’s favorite was the turtle {right above the blue wrapper}.

But really, it was all so, so good.  Yes, I said was. Because all of the chocolates have been eaten. In two days. The holidays rock.

Thanks Angie.

PS. Don’t forget to enter the December giveaway before Friday at 5 PM EST!

PPS. Holy Cow. My first born became a teenager today. I am speechless.

5 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

Reminds me of my mother, she always made hand dipped chocolates to give out at Christmas. The bite I had was very tasty.

Emily said...

Those look so delish. I could use a few at the moment, eat the holiday stress away!

Apis Melliflora said...

That box would have disappeared in no time flat over here. It must have been difficult to photograph with that freshly dipped chocolate smell wafting up!

Apis Melliflora said...

I also have to say what I've been thinking for a few days now: nice piece of rough hewn wood.

Stacey Gerlach Moe said...

Those looks scrumpdilicious!!!