October 20, 2010

Too Much of a Gold Thing?

IMG_7934 While my girl was at piano lessons yesterday, I used the half hour wait to browse my local Salvation Army Thrift Store, not because I need one darn thing, but because I can’t resist the possibility that a treasure might be hiding there waiting for someone {me!} to find it.

After visiting Denver, with its hundreds of clean, well organized, low priced thrift stores, I realize that my Salvation Army is more like the Arm Pit of thrift stores. It is small, dirty, completely disorganized, way overpriced and totally ill-managed.  I found myself muttering under my breath about wanting to be in Denver as I tried to maneuver through the tiny aisles  and sort through the piles of junk. 

But then I found something.

Okay, I found four somethings.

And two of the somethings might have been amazing gold mirrors.

Have I ever mentioned that I have a little thing for gold mirrors?  I may or may not own eight gold mirrors.  Is that too many?  I keep reminding myself that mirrors open up small spaces, invite light in and are great for a last minute check of the hair before heading out the door . . . of any room in my house!

Here’s one of the thrift store mirrors which immediately made the small hallway to our powder room seem larger, lighter and more hair-check ready.  Never mind that there’s a mirror in the powder room for checking hair. It’s about to be replaced by a – you guessed it – GOLD MIRROR!

IMG_7935

I love the flower, leaf and beaded detail on this mirror.  And I love the price tag, which read $12.99.

As soon as I get the other treasures from my thrift run in their proper places, I’ll post some pictures.  Suffice it to say this is the smaller, less awesome of the two mirrors.

Have you given thrifting a try?

6 comments:

Heather L. said...

It's beautiful! What a great find!

Apis Melliflora said...

Not too much, but too cool. I really like the ornate frames. I was once in a powder room that had all four walls covered with a collage of framed mirrors. It was a bold & stunning statement.

Audrey Carlson said...

Do you not the remember the HUGE gold framed mirror Chris and I had in all our homes until we moved here?

I think it's great!

Tobi said...

Very pretty. I have an oval shaped gold mirror you can have. Gold is just not for me.

The Queen Vee said...

Good deal, glad you got it, looks great and maybe it will make me look great when I look into it.

Sue said...

Tobi, slap a coat of spray paint on that sucker and you'll be back in business!

I wish I had a thrift store close by. Searching for treasures sounds like way too much fun!