October 19, 2010

A Failure Or A Success?

IMG_7933

For reasons still unbeknownst to me, I volunteered to help with costumes for the upcoming production of The Wizard Of Oz.  When the costume director called and inquired about my sewing skills, I was honest and told her they were marginal.  As in straight lines only and no pattern following, really.  I told her I was wicked fast with a glue gun and she immediately relegated me to gluing feathers on monkey wings.  Sigh.

Then my friend M. called me and asked if I’d be willing to take on the turban of Dr. Marvel, the magician who tells Dorothy’s fortune before the tornado comes.  I replied with a very unsteady, “Sure?” because I was confident that between my marginal skills and my mom’s supreme skills, we could turn out some type of turban.

I googled ‘turban tying tutorial’ {say that three times fast} and you wouldn’t believe the things I came up with. Unfortunately, none of them were helpful for what I needed to make.

So yesterday The Queen and I got together with a hat form, some batting, a bunch of hot glue sticks and a yard of gold lame’ {pronounced lah-may} fabric to see what we could come up with.

Two and a half hours, two glue gun burns, two pokes in the head with a straight pin and twenty seven hearty laughs later, we were done, but the process was not without its frustration.  Some of my favorite quotes from the day:

“I don’t know, I just feel like I’m enveloped in fabric!”

“It sort of resembles an alien head.”

“What on earth am I supposed to do with all this fabric?”

“Do you think it’s a little Aunt Jemima-ish?”

“This is the crappiest thing I have ever made!”

“Don’t you dare tell anyone I helped you make this!”

I took the turban to rehearsals last night to try on Dr. Marvel and all higher ups at the play declared it to be Stunning! Fantastic! and Wonderful!

Last week my mom told me about a study she’d read that found that older people don’t laugh as much.  I’m so glad she helped me with the turban.  It’s the most I’ve heard her laugh in a really long time and it was soooooo worth it.

Thanks Queenie!  You’re the topsy turbanest!

12 comments:

Aiketa said...

I agree with the highs ups, your turban is awesome! I'm happy that by doing that you and your mom spent a nice time together.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I think RedDog is a marvelous model. I also think it could stand more feathers - maybe of the peacock variety? in front. But the shape is grand. Good job Sam (and V)!

The Queen Vee said...

You're right Shar, it could use a grander feather but those were the feathers we had on hand. The Oz folks own it now and they can embellish to turban/wee bit of a nightmare project to their hearts content. My costume making skills are extremely limited, I leave that to my sisters Sylvia and Linda.

The Queen Vee said...

That would be THE TURBAN...

Emily said...

Love it! Wish I had the patience to make one for "T" to wear for Halloween, since he still doesn't have a costume.

Apis Melliflora said...

I think it's fantastic. A certain hubby was wondering if you could whip up another one and overnight it for his upcoming turn as a fortune teller. (Actually, he said, "See what awesomeness they put together in such a short time. You should be able to make me one too.")

Amy Lynne said...

It is too cute! I think you two did a wonderful job!

Sue said...

Soren's pic needs a caption that says, "Things that make you go 'Hmmm'".

Nice work you crafty Carlson women!

lee kriel said...

When I first opened your blog and skimmed over it, I read the quote "don't you dare tell...." I thought it was something you might be saying to Hannah B...but I laughed out loud when I read that it was the Queen...I could hear her giggling through the internet and the mischief of you smiling on this difficult project!

btw, It looks great! And it is good to laugh.

squeezeme said...

Success! Way to go stage mom and grammie!

Tobi said...

I think it's stunning! I think it's perfect! I think I can see into the future now. =)

jennifer's little things said...

Nothing goes better with a challenging project than laughter and I'm glad you shared this story.....it had me giggling all the way through.

I also love that you recently shared some photos of The Queen. Now I can put a face to her name when I'm trying to absorb her endearing personality thru your posts - hoping that a little will rub off on me. It seems that you two are a great team!