September 20, 2010

Sometimes Being A Mom Is . . .

IMG_1046

Ollie & Me looking at sheep.  Photo by Sue Richardson

The part of this picture you aren’t seeing is me standing in sheep poop.  The part of this picture you aren’t smelling is that fresh farm smell, also vaguely reminiscent of sheep poop.  And cow poop.  And chicken poop.  But my boy wanted to see the sheep.  So I stepped in the poop.  In the past week I’ve also:

  • Stepped in vomit in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom to wipe more vomit off RedDog’s mouth and sit with him while he barfed {his favorite vomit word ever}.
  • Wiped a runny green baby nose with my bare hand because I had nothing else to use and it was about to go in his mouth.
  • Used my same bare hands to wipe diaper rash cream on parts of a bum that don’t see the sun.
  • Changed more poopy diapers than I’d care to on a baby who thinks he’s Houdini and spends the whole changing trying to escape.  Poop may or may not have gotten on my hands.
  • Stuck my hand into my almost-a-teenagers mouth each night to turn his orthodontic expander “a click”. Teenagers have nasty breath at the end of the day.
  • Squeezed a zit on the nose of said almost-a-teenager.
  • Picked dry, puss encrusted skin off my daughter’s constantly infected earring hole.
  • Caught chewed up food from a kid’s mouth in mid air to prevent it from hitting the floor.

The conclusion I’ve come to is that being a mom is gross.  We do gross things.  It’s weird too, because we do gross things without giving it a second thought.  Because we love our kids.

If you’d read the list above to me as a teenager, I would have excused myself to dry heave in the corner.  But now, I know I wouldn’t change it for the world.  It’s part of who I am.  Except for the poop on the hands part.  That will always be wrong, wrong, wrong.

PS.  I have been chronically washing my hands this week also, just in case you were disturbed by bums and mouths being in the same post.

11 comments:

christy said...

Such a disgustingly true post. I'm impressed by your mad food-catching skills out of someone's mouth and BEFORE it hit the floor. That's talent.

AllisonK said...

Most definitely gross!

Sue said...

Yeah, Mom's are constantly taking one for the team.

Sheep and cow and horse poop isn't all that bad. You just need some good Bogs or Muck Boots. Not nearly as gross as when you're wearing your uber stylish teal peek-a-boo pumps.

Stacey Gerlach Moe said...

Before I was a mom, I never would have guessed that I would have done the following:

When I was changing Ben's poopy diaper a while ago (when he was about 12 months old), he decided he wasn't finished. Instead of letting him poop all over the changing table and have to do even more laundry, I put my hand there and he just pooped in that. Is it wrong that I didn't think anything of it? Once I had been puked on my hair, nothing after that seems to gross me out!!!! Ahhhh, motherhood. But I, like you, would not trade it for the world......

The Queen Vee said...

It doesn't end with kids as you may find yourself doing the same thing for an aging parent. Don't worry Dragonfly I'm not quite there yet.

Apis Melliflora said...

Can I have your autograph? You lead such a glamourous life!

Tobi said...

Being a Mom sure isn't for the weak of stomach. It's done wonders for my sensitive gag reflex. Although I still dry heave when my kids barf. It's just too gross.

Suzanne C said...

A-A-Amen!

Susan said...

Truer words have not been spoken! I think that is why our immunity's systems get built up because being a Mom exposes you to all kinds of gross germy stuff. :)

TracyS. said...

You know, it's true. I'd go through all manner of disgusting things for my kids and not blink an eye. But for OTHER people's kids, it's still a gross out. That's what love can do for you!

Kasey said...

And so when did you schedule your spa day? lol Your an awesome Mom.