September 13, 2010

How To Be Cool . . .

IMG_7478

First off, it’s important to let you know that I don’t have much advice on how to be cool.  In fact, I’m pretty sure that right about now my 7th grader would like to convince you just how uncool I am. 

I mean, I won’t let him have a cell phone like all his other 12 year-old friends. And I won’t buy him a $200 i-Touch. Instead he has to earn the money himself if he wants one.  And I’ve already told you about the “no sleepovers” rule.  So, yeah, I pretty much rank near the bottom in the coolness department when it comes to moms.

But, I was willing to help Big C. out with his request to “coolify” his class binders with funny covers.  We had a great time searching for pictures with google searches like “math geek” and “beaker from Muppets” for his math and science binders.

We both agree that it is a definite tie for coolest binder between Jack Black belting it all out for chorus or R2-D2 in a sombrero for Spanish. 

IMG_7476

IMG_7477

Yeah, I’m cool like that.

9 comments:

Sue said...

Those Rock! But I keep thinking, "what a drag, he has to carry THAT MANY binders?"

Is it bad to admit that I don't miss school one little bit?

The Queen Vee said...

Cool binders, Cool Chris, who in a few years will come to realize that you are and always have been a Cool mom.

Anonymous said...

Awesome binders! I agree with Sue, I don't miss school even one iota.

Kasey said...

I love reading how you handle your kids. Really. I'll be there in that stage before I know. I think it's a good thing he has to earn his money for a phone or itouch. Teaches him hard work, and responsibility. Way to go on the binders.

Apis Melliflora said...

The cool thing about it is that he's the one who comes across as cool. Like "hey, look what I did toolin' around on the net."

Apis Melliflora said...

I miss school.

Emily said...

That's the best kind of cool to be!

Sue said...

Melissa, you're weird.

Weird is good.

Jessie said...

I'm down in the same low-rank of coolness w/our 7th grader, too. Somehow, though, he's okay with our rule that he has to get his Eagle before we'll consider letting him have a phone. I like the idea of him having to buy it. We recently went to the "no sleepovers" thing too. I'm curious how your family handles email, Facebook, etc. We haven't let him have one yet, but he insists everyone else but him does.