September 10, 2010

Gifts for Sisters . . .

IMG_7421

Each fall my mom and her sisters get together for a retreat.  They change locations and hosts, but always have a blast, sing loudly, take pictures of their feet, visit thrift stores & garage sales and always exchange inexpensive handmade gifts with one another.  Doesn’t that sound dreamy?  Sisters, fun and gifts are three of my favorite things!

Last week my mom and I hit the craft stores in search of supplies. We spent an hour tearing apart perfectly good, entirely new silk flowers.  Armed with glue guns, feathers, felt and pins, we made gorgeous lapel pins for her sisters – our inspiration was a pin my mom found at Ann Taylor Loft for $18!

Our base flowers of choice were deep purple and vintage colored roses.  Some pins got perfectly faded ranunculus centers, others got feathers and gems {for the more dramatic sisters – you know who you are}.

IMG_7419

It was so fun to sit and laugh and craft with my momma.  She is a talented lady.  With the leftover ranunculus petals sitting on the table amidst the craft carnage, she pulled together this little pin for me:

IMG_7422

I told you, she’s talented!  I hope you’re having a great time at the retreat mom.  And sisters of the world, just a reminder that you totally rock!

5 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

She is one talented crafter and so are you! I'm hoping it rubs off on me too over time.

Jennifer said...

I know the exact pin you are talking about since Iwork there and have sold it over and over again. Each time I feel so sorry for talking somebody into spending that much money because I know they are so so easy to make.
They turned out beautifully. A gift any girl would be happy to get!

The Queen Vee said...

They were a big hit, the sisters assure me they will wear them.....we shall see.

Tobi said...

Beautiful! You and your Mom are very talented.

I love the sisters reunion too. One of these days I want to have a sisters reunion too.

Kasey said...

They are beautiful. Love them. I'm inspired.