September 9, 2010

Thoughts On Befores And Afters . . .

Last night I was thinking about the whole before and after process.  It’s probably an understatement to say I’m a big fan. 

For me, there is something about seeing potential in an item thers might pass off as worthless or unusable.  It sparks a little desire in me to see the best in something, to admit that almost everything has  a little good in it {I did say almost, because there are some things that are just done}.

I also enjoy the transformation process.  Putting hard work into a B&A increases my appreciation for the finished project exponentially.  I find that when my children help me with projects they gladly accept ownership of the finished result and are proud of their hard work.

Before and afters also appeal to the cheapskate in me.  Why buy a brand new piece of furniture when I can find a less expensive, existing piece that is most likely better made and just needs a little love, sandpaper and paint to turn it from cinder bin to Cinderella?

When I truly get to the core of why befores and afters are my thing, it’s because I know that I am just one big before and after in progress.  I am constantly trying to take the outdated, useless and undesirable in me and make it better, more usable and more likeable.  And I just keep hoping that in the end, the Great Appraiser of us all will see the value in my finished product.

And now, after waxing ultra philosophical, I have a fantastic before and after for you today courtesy of a very talented friend I gained courtesy of my mom, The Queen.  Lee is a photographer, wife, mom to three gorgeous {can I say that?} boys and has taste and style oozing out of her pores.  She recently decided her small U-shaped kitchen needed un update on a budget.  Here is the before, taken on a day she was cleaning out the cupboards:

kitchenbefore

And here, with the addition of open shelving, a new retro fridge and some fantastic vintage accessories, is the absolutely awesome after:

kitchen15

What I love about this B&A:

  • The light!  This kitchen just begs for a dish-doer standing in front of that window with all that natural light. And even though the window treatment in the before was darling, this window is very happy with no cover at all!
  • The fact that Lee pared her cupboard contents down to the very bare essentials, which happen to also be the most visually pleasing essentials.
  • The fridge.  I can’t get enough of it.  I want to have her email me a picture of the inside, I love it that much.
  • The fresh color palette.  Greens, blues, whites . . . ahh.
  • The modern, sparse design mixed with vintage elements.  I’ve seen close up photos, and Lee hasn’t missed a thing, from vintage light fixtures and an old fan and thermostat gauge.  If you’d like to see more pictures of Lee’s kitchen remodel and read her post on it, visit her blog here. While you’re there you can ogle over her beautiful photography.

Thanks Lee, for sharing your kitchen with me.  It’s simply dreamy.

There are going to be lots of befores and afters in the next few weeks as I reveal the fifteen bazillion projects we’ve been working on around here.  Hope you’ll stick around!

6 comments:

AllisonK said...

I love your philosophical musings! I'm a huge fan or B&A and that kitchen is WONDERFUL! Thanks for the inspiration this morning

Apis Melliflora said...

A beautiful, peaceful, visually stunning transformation. But I do wonder: is there a new home for the stuff that was once in the upper cabinets? I love before and afters because order is pretty.

The Queen Vee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Queen Vee said...

I absolutely love this FAB reno of Lee's kitchen, it looks absolutely perfect. There is no question about it, that fridge is the cherry on top of decorating cake. Lee is an amazingly talented, beautiful and creative woman. The hubby and kiddos always come first with her though, she has her priorities in order.

I'm under constant renovation too, it sure makes life interesting.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I've always been afraid of exposed shelving in the kitchen. I'm not nearly that neat and my kitchen krap runneth over. But it's sure pretty and I fully admire anyone who can keep that kind of order.

Pinspot said...

Wow, what a transformation! I love that fridge! What a great wall color too! I'd be right at home in this kitchen.