May 24, 2010

Thoughts On Getting Lost . . .

I know.  I know.  You either watched it or you didn't.  I for one, have not missed ONE SINGLE EPISODE in six years.  And the series finale of Lost last night was a perfect ending to what I believe is the best TV show ever.  Period.  {Sorry Alias, your last season stunk big time}.

After it was all over last night and I had recovered from bawling like a baby, I lay in bed trying to pinpoint what it was exactly that rocked my world in the finale.  And I can narrow it down to this:  I believe that after this life I will be with those I love in a place I choose to call heaven. I believe my loved ones will cry tears of joy when we are reunited.  I believe some who have already gone before me are actively cheering me on in this life so that I can be with them again some day.  I believe that in subtle ways they are helping me to get there. And I believe that through the trials, hardships and ever present difficulties of this life, we are never, ever left alone because no one can do it alone. My belief in a Savior and a loving Father in Heaven are the very core of who I am.

All these feelings and beliefs that I have were so beautifully captured in the last episode of Lost - from the concept of a savior (Jack - who sacrifices his own life to save the light for all of humanity) to the concept of a loving father (Christian Shepard - who is there to comfort his son and help him understand greater truth) to loved ones helping, cheering on and then waiting for us on the other side . . . it just simply blew me away.

As a person of faith, I give major props to Damon Lindleof and Carlton Cuse for not shying away from religion as the underlying principle of this show.  Major gutsy move that totally paid off.

I totally got lost in Lost.  It is over now, and with it, the end {for me} of truly great television. 
How about you?  Did you watch?  What did you think?  Can you recommend a replacement show, one that doesn't have "The Real Housewives of . . ." in the title?
dragonfly signature

12 comments:

christy said...

I'm with you 100%. Ryan I and watched it the whole way through and loved it. As we were going to bed last night Ryan said he thinks that's why he loved it so much- because he believes that's what it will be like on the other side. A happy reunion with all of our loved ones. Hooray for Lost and boo-hoo that it's over.
As for other great tv, there's not much. We're always suckers for Amazing Race and are looking forward to the lighthearted "Wipeout" this summer.

The Dragonfly said...

Christy, the two shows you mentioned are on our list . . . we have very similar tv tastes!

Apis Melliflora said...

Given your inspired summary, I think I need to watch the last episode.

jd said...

Aw man. You just made me almost start crying again.

I too am overwhelmed by all the significance and symbolism and parallels etc. the show and the finale created, represented and implied. I can't stop thinking about it. When I got to work this morning it somehow felt "wrong" to be... here. And I can't wait for that big reunion some day... if a television show depiction/interpretation was that emotional, what will the real thing be like??

I think you and I are going to need to re-watch/re-visit this episode in November :)

oh yeah, and wipeout ROCKS

The Queen Vee said...

Wow, Hollywood actually wrote and filmed something with a religious viewpoint....amazing. I'm happy that you enjoyed the show last night.

Anonymous said...

I don't even know where to start with this post. I guess I'm glad you felt so inspired while watching NBC. Oh, and I think you're a weirdo :-)

Love, Black Sheep.

ps. I think you should start watching Star Wars the Clone Wars on Cartoon Network. Some say that Yoda looks like Spencer W. Kimball :-)

Emily said...

We have watched every episode as well and loved last night. Have you ever watched "Minute to Win it"? It's a show the whole family can watch. I hope they come out with something equally as good as Lost, but that will be next to impossible.

Amanda said...

Loved Lost too. Also had the same feelings about Alias. Especially the finale

Kristen said...

I am a huge Lost fan. I cried my eyes out last night too.

I also was impressed with the obvious faith in the show. I knew Jack would die but I still was so sad to see him and the show go.

KitKat said...

I recommend Mad Men. I discovered it the middle of season 3 and had to buy the DVDs for 1 and 2. Season 4 starts in July, I think. By the way, I loved it how the dog layed down with Jack when he was dying. What a great pooch.

Tobi said...

I need to catch up on my Lost episodes. I'm not nearly close to the end. I am sad that it's over though.

Personally I'm addicted to Holmes on Homes. It's a great show about what happens when you a hire a bad contractor to renovate your home. It helps you recognize the warning signs and see the correct way to renovate.

Boan Rubalcava said...

LOST ROCKS!

That says it all. Its not the best show on TV though. 24 is the undeniable winner there but Lost comes in at second place which isn't bad.

The traumatic thing is that now both shows are over! Oh NO! What to do with all that free time now?! At least our mourning is offset by the fact that there will be a 24 movie.