May 18, 2010

Paper or Plastic?

I have to admit, that when Mother’s Day rolled around this year, I was so caught up in party preparations, I had pretty much neglected my usual duty of doing something for my mom and the Hubby’s mom. Yes, I am normally the one who does both moms. Don’t ask.

Luckily, the Hubby decided that after 15 years of me remembering to buy his mom a card or gift, this was the year he was going to do it all on his own.  He took the time to send her some beautiful flowers with a heartfelt note. They were adored and appreciated.

That took care of one mom – but what about my Queen of a momma? Thursday morning before Mother’s Day an idea popped into my head and I quickly got to work.

I emailed my siblings an asked each of them to send me a profile photo A.S.A.P.  My younger brother was vain enough to wait until he got a hair cut the next day.  I had the Hubby take a profile shot of me.  Once I had all four photos, I spent a little time editing the photos to a similar size and changing the  contrast to lighten the background and darken the subjects.

Next I used a small, sharp pair of scissors perfect for cutting out every detail of each face and head. I then used a large Sharpie to blacken out the silhouettes, coloring over the already dark photograph on both sides. I did this until I was pretty much high on marker fumes and couldn’t take it anymore. Then I mounted each silhouette onto some pretty white on cream scrapbook paper.

This gift was down to the wire.  I was at Michael’s craft late on Saturday afternoon crossing my fingers that I would find the perfect frame . . . and I did. 

I know it is more typical to have a silhouette of your children when they are young, but since our sister wasn’t with us then, I thought my mom deserved to have our silhouettes as adults.
005 006
And since I’ve always {and I mean always} pretty much hated my nose, I decided to shave a teeny bit off my bumpy profile.  Don’t judge me . . . I’d never get plastic surgery, but a little paper nose job is right up my alley!

14 comments:

Kernal Ken said...

I was temporarily out of the room when the Queen opened this Mother's day gift. When I returned, my jaw dropped...
Dragonfly's work looked like it had been done by the professionals who, in Revolutionary times, made silhouette pictures of some of our most famous founders and their ladies. Awesome!
Her talents just keep on appearing by surprise — she's now a party designer, a portrait artist, a photographer, a great mom and wife, a book editor, and about a hundred other things. "Clearly above average' — a private joke.

Apis Melliflora said...

I have to say that was a really, really amazing gift. I say give Owlie one more year, then do another one for yourself!

P.S. Matt, you're not the only vain one, I wanted some collagen in my lips, some longer eyelashes and a slightly bigger neck.

The Queen Vee said...

This gift made with love, talent and by a daughter with little time to spare is adored and loved.

I'm one lucky mama!

Jennifer said...

What a great idea. I am going to have to keep this in mind for myself!

And there is nothing wrong with a little paper surgery.

christy said...

I love it! You did such an incredible job. And I agree that you need one for yourself with your kiddos. It would be darling.

Stacey Gerlach Moe said...

What an amazing gift!!!

AllisonK said...

Love the nose job!! Made me giggle. Such a touching gift!

Kasey said...

Great idea! It turned out beautifully!

Unknown said...

Darling! I've seen them done before, but have yet to try it. I laughed at your vain little brother and paper nose job. You are so funny. :)

Dan and Bec said...

I love it, what a great idea!

Acacia said...

Oh My! That's fantastic...and the frame is a perfect fit! And, even after not having seen either of you in person in over 15 years, I would be able to pick out you and your photographer brother just from the silhouettes!!! Neither has aged a day!

Susan said...

It is a beautiful gift. Your talents are amazing as well as your love for your family!

Tobi said...

Great idea! I love that you "surgically altered" your nose. Good for you!

Sue said...

The perfect gift for the Queen. You clever, clever girl!