May 16, 2010

The Big Event . . .

was a surprise 40th Birthday Party for a great gal named Kate and 100 of her closest friends.  I was asked to head up the decor by taking an already fabulous wrap around porch in a gorgeous natural setting, and turning up the wow factor to make the fantastic forty year old feel really special – all while maintaining the surprise factor by doing the install in a 5 hour time period on the day of the party.  YOWZA!!
Here’s how I {and by I, I totally mean WE because I had lots of help from some really dedicated family and friends} accomplished the goal {warning, long post}:
First, to give the beautiful tongue and groove plank ceilings some adornment, we made 150 of these tissue paper pom poms following the tutorial found here
033This was the single biggest project for the party and included a bunch of crazy ladies staying up very late at night making inappropriate jokes and one devoted Hubby on a ladder for four hours hanging “fluff” from fishing wire.  I’m pretty sure everyone thought I was crazy to implement this particular idea.  I know I thought I was crazy! But the effect it had was breathtaking!  A slight breeze the night of the party made the ceiling come alive with texture and movement and the pom poms looked as if they were floating because you couldn’t see the fishing wire. It was really lovely!

Here’s another gratuitous pom pom shot.  I spy a Queen! Thanks for helping out momma.  You are the source of my skills.  Love ya!040Next, I worked on some center pieces for the eight round tables where guests would be sitting.  Brian {Kate’s husband} had mentioned that her favorite flowers are roses.  I priced out fresh flowers and just could not bring myself to spend that much of my budget on something that would eventually die and get tossed in the trash.  Brian and Kate are in the process of putting in an amazing pool behind their house so  I suggested we use some ground cover rose bushes as centerpieces that he could plant by the pool for Kate afterwards, giving her a reminder of her surprise party for years to come.  I wrapped each plant in tulle and brown burlap, tied it off with some coordinating ribbon in the party’s colors and gave each centerpiece a metal butterfly and a skewered cardstock circle with a fun fact about Kate.044    037
Now that the table tops were covered {centerpiece, lime green cloths and votive candles} I wanted something to fill the space between the vaulted ceiling with all it’s pom poms and the table surface.  Enter the thousands of cardstock circles I’ve been cutting for weeks:
041
Each table had a  circle garland ‘chandelier’ hanging above it. I tied the garland to a wire wreath frame and the hubby used more clear fishing wire to hang these.  Some of the circles were embossed with a gold 40 for some added shimmer and shine, cuz that’s how I roll {read: crazy and more crazy}.043
When I do a party, I am all about some personal touches.  For Kate’s party, the personal came in the form of two specific ideas:

A custom made memo board where guests could leave birthday wishes for Kate and a little take-away box for each guest filled with several varieties of Kate’s favorite candies.

The memo board was made from the fabric that was my inspiration for the party’s color palette.  The Queen helped me gussy up this area with candles, rocks from the yard, fresh flower arrangements {by me} and a large letter K that I found at JoAnn’s and improved with some paint and paper flowers. I hand stamped the cards for guests to leave messages on and placed them in a $1.00 tin from my beloved Target.005 046 048
For the take-away boxes, I designed a fun label and my crazy family helped me stuff and tied each box with the coolest lime green/white twine from Divine Twine.  Wondering what was inside?  An assortment of White chocolate Reese’s cups, Twix bars, chocolate truffles and vanilla Tootsie Rolls. Uh, can you say YUM?004 003
When guests first came up the stairs onto the porch, they were greeted by two buffet tables laden with food from three of Kate’s favorite restaurants.  And in the center of the tables sat a large urn with the tree branch I lovingly glued hundreds of silk flowers to in an effort to give it that just-bloomed spring look.  On the branches hung various pictures from Kate’s life.
039 038
The figurative {and literal} icing on the cake of this party was a custom made birthday cake.  While I can take absolutely zero credit for the making of the cake, I did consult with its creator on colors, textures and overall design.  And man, did Nancy ever rock my world with her finished product, which was topped by one last tissue flower of my making:
012 013
Nancy copied pieces of the cardstock I used for the garland onto edible paper which she used to wrap the cake.  And I should probably mention that the cake tasted even better than it looked.  If that’s even possible.002
I had a really great time putting this party together for Kate and watching the ideas in my head come together in reality.  I learned a lot, and specifically that I am nowhere near ready to do this on a regular basis, despite receiving several requests for future work while at the party. It took a lot of time away from my family. I had a lot of help from friends and family to pull it off. Without them I would have sunk faster than a rock in water. You know who you are – thank you a million times over. I just know I couldn’t exist on this kind of stress constantly. So I am semi-retired for now.

Here’s a parting shot of the party as I was pulling away in my car to go home to my Hubby:028
If you’re curious to see what happened at my house while I was at the party, head on over to my photo blog by clicking on that Dragonfly in the right hand sidebar - believe me, it's worth a click! 

12 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

My favorite shot is the very last one where all those tissue paper flowers just dazzle! But all the pictures are wonderful. Your vision shows you to be visionary! I think I'm going to come back and look at all this eye candy a few more times before the day is done. Bravo Dragonfly!

Tobi said...

That is the most amazing party ever! It was like a wedding! The cake, the flowers, the candy, and the decor was all perfectly plotted! I love, love, love, love it!!

SUPER DUPER GOOD JOB SAM! (And the Queen too of course.)

AllisonK said...

WOW!!! This is lovely! I can't imagine all the work, but the results are wonderful

christy said...

AMAZING!! Kate must be one lucky lady to have a 40th birthday party that special. It all looks incredible. Maybe I'll have to tell Ryan to hire you when my 40th bday rolls around. Do you travel? :)

Jennifer said...

I have seen a lot of parties in my time, but Sam, this one was one of the most beautiful!

The Queen Vee said...

Great vision/design Samantha, fun to help but in the future you need to get paid....just saying!

The cake is amazing.

TracieCarter said...

You never cease to be AMAZING, knock it outta the park, AND be real! Fabulous job for a such a fun, great gal! You totally rock!

Elise said...

I have been dying to see. Everything looks fabulous!!! That cake is to die for!!! Hope that birthday girl had a great time.

Apis Melliflora said...

Ooo, just noticed you rounded the corners on the party pics to match the comment cards and added that Compound Eye flourish... you're cool.

Natalie Meester said...

I love the texture of the tissue balls against the rustic wood ceiling. The tree branch in urn is a great idea too!

I love the cake and the little dots in a circle.

Sue said...

There's only one word to describe this visual feast: Spectacular! I'm exhausted just thinking about all the work and stellar time management that went into pulling this off. The joy Kate will feel every time she reflects on this event is a true gift of love from you and the other party planners.

I turn 40 in August 2015. Just sayin'.

Amy Jo said...

You totally rocked this party. I'm so impressed! I came back for a second look today at it, to copy your circle paper chandelier idea. I've been cutting out circles, and I want to hang them over my baby crib. I think they will be so awesome with the ceiling fan blowing. I started sewing them last night...super fun...except the thread breaks unless I put line up the circles directly next to each other. Next, looking for that wire-y thing you hung them from. Thanks for sharing all your hard work!