September 2, 2009

You Were All Yellow . . .

Have you heard that song "Pocket Full of Sunshine" by Natasha Bedingfield? It's a catchy tune that makes me tap my foot and bop my head every time I hear it.

That song, the song Yellow, by ColdPlay and this post here were the inspiration behind packages I just put together for two very important people in my life. Both gals really needed some surprise sunniness, and since I've been struggling with some blue days myself lately, I felt the need to do some shining on others to help me get out of my funk.

The kids and I hit our local Target in search of fun little gifts {inexpensive, of course} with a common theme: they had to be bright YELLOW! We all had a great time searching the aisles with the following guidelines - it must be yellow, it must fit into a small padded mailer and it must cost less than $2.00. Funny aside: Hannie & RedDog kept singing "this little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine" while we shopped, thanks to an episode of Little Bill they'd seen that morning.

We ended up with crazy socks, a car air freshener {Vanillaroma, anyone?}, a pack of gum, a chocolate bar, some lip balm {the only item over $2.00}, a cute notebook, and some blank note cards. I whipped out some little sunshine tags on the computer and we packed it all up with bright yellow paper shred and a sunny note of encouragement.

This combination seems to work for me - Target, a theme, doing something for friends. Love it!

11 comments:

The Carlsons said...

You are so awesome to spread a little sunshine to those who need it. You're talented and inspirational. Love You.

Kasey said...

Wow, that is such a good idea. That person will love you!!! What a good reminder to be charitable to others, and it turn will make yourself smile!!

MelancholySmile said...

What a lovely idea, and a great way to fight the blues!

We are FAM-I-LEE said...

Love the idea! I know it brought sunshine to my day today. I'm sure it will brighten your friends too!

The Queen Vee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheri said...

What a thoughtful idea and what a benevolent friend you are! I know this will definitely hit the sunshine spot in your friends.
I always sing a few songs to my kids every night when I tuck them in and one of the staples is "You Are My Sunshine"! Sam - thanks for being my sunshine today!

Apis Melliflora said...

That person loved you even before the sunny arrival of the yellow package. "The stars, they shine for you."

The Queen Vee said...

You are my Sunshine, but not my only Sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Your thoughtful ways they just make my day.

I'm an idiot!!

Burton's blog said...

Cute ideas. Brightening anothers day is always the best way out of a funk! You rock!(As my Kenny would say!)

Tobi said...

I can't think of a better way to brighten your own gloomy skies then by serving others. Good call Samantha!

Unknown said...

This is such a fantastic idea! I'll definitely be borrowing it. Thanks for sharing it! A package like that would totally bring some sunshine-y happiness!