September 24, 2009

Three Word Thursday


Four. Month. Fog.

{Me, with no makeup, no upper lip and allergy eyes.}

A wise and dear friend recently told me that a woman should be allowed one month per child she's birthed to get back to "normal" after having a baby. Let's see, that means I've got one month and three weeks to pull myself together.

I'm halfway through what I like to refer to as the Four Month Fog. I've been here three times before, so I know what to expect. It manifests itself differently each time. Let me illustrate:

After Big C was born, I dyed my hair brown, which turned green, which was fine because I spent an awful lot of time in my townhouse watching way too many M.A.S.H. reruns since it was easier than taking the baby out.

With Hannie B., I convinced the Hubby that we needed to buy a little white T.V. {aesthetics people, always!} for our bedroom so Big C. could sit on the floor and watch Blues Clues while I slept in way too late each day and nursed the baby in bed.

With RedDog, I alternated between being cooped up while house sitting someone else's house with stir crazy kids and rushing over to our current house to remove wallpaper and scrutinize the remodeling process.

And now, I find that it is all I can do to manage the three grown kids school and activity schedules without collapsing in a heap at night. Pretty much nothing else gets done around here.

For me, the Four Month Fog encapsulates many things. It is me feeling like a foreigner in my own body {Whose chest is this? When did my waist get like this? Why is my skin so blotchy? Am I losing my hair?}. It is the shift from independent woman to woman upon whom someone else is solely dependant. It is me trying desperately to deal with sleep deprivation while my family tries desperately to deal with moodiness due to hormonal shifting. It is focusing my attention on a helpless baby at the expense of feeling helplessly behind on housework and homemaking. It is ditching what used to be my schedule and adjusting to the schedule of the new little person, who frankly, is running the show. It is letting go of control in just about every aspect of my life and realizing Who is really in control. It is mourning the loss of my old self and rejoicing in the creation of a new self.

The Four Month Fog has taught me that while having a baby is an amazing, beautiful, God given blessing for a woman, it is also a period of shifting for a woman. It is a PROCESS, and for me at least, it takes time to work my way back to a place where I begin to feel like life is back to "normal" again and the integration period has ended.

Blogging has been therapeutic for me in the past two months. I relish the time I take for myself as I write each day. It is helping me to reflect and gain perspective on the current shifts and changes I am experiencing after having little Ollie.

And just like the last three times, I am beginning to see that the fog will lift and I will be better for having walked through it.

15 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Apis Melliflora said...

My fog is not being able to compose a proper comment.

Slowly the fog is lifting and the outlines are beginning to push through. You're doing a great job, faster than most I dare say. Good thing you know who controls the foghorn.

Give yourself credit.

Kasey said...

So true!! Hang in there. I think you're a great Mom.

Jennifer said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. From one mom of a new one to another.

Emily said...

Oh the fog. I remember. It took me about a year to get through that fog so you are doing wonderful!

Lori said...

In the words of a catchy, little song (remember I have a teenager who loves music)"Take one step at a time, there's no need to rush...it's like learning to fly...or falling in love. It's gonna happen...one step at a time!" Jordan Sparks :-)

The Carlsons said...

In a couple of years you won't remember this. Or maybe that's tomorrow. Love you and know you can do it!!!

MelancholySmile said...

Only one month per child? I think my fog has always lasted well into the 4-6 month range. :) I hope you know you're inspirational. If you can manage it, perhaps I can have a fourth child as well. Hope the fog clears for you soon {and you start to recognize yourself in the mirror again!} xo

Amy Jo said...

Thanks for being so honest with the process of adding a new baby to the family. (I'm not going to let myself be frightened...no I'm not) Seeing where my 2 year old is now, with walking, talking, sleeping, eating, I know that my new baby will be in the same "easy" place in a short 2 years. But that's 730 DAYS away. Oh how the days go by so slowly, but the years just fly by!

jd said...

I know you are completely and totally and absolutely capable (you are my Mom Hero!), but still-- I soooo wish I had a few weeks off to just come and help out! Man, I wish.

TracyS. said...

I thought I was the only one who watched way too much MASH after the birth of my first. It was amazing. You could find it at any time day or night.
I am glad the fog is thinning- soon you will see the bright sun.

Jessie said...

I've heard that if it takes 9 months to create a baby, a woman should be allowed at least that many months to reclaim herself. If 4 is all you need, you're a better woman than I am. I'm gonna need the nine. (Probably more like a year if I'm really honest.)

So glad you're starting to see the light.

The Queen Vee said...

Soon it will all come together and your life will be running like clockwork....then again maybe not. Just remember what really is a big deal and what isn't. Kirk has helped me many times to laugh and relax and go with the flow even through the Fog.

Unknown said...

Well said!

I have two little boys, the youngest is a year old. My friends keep pestering me about having a girl, but I am so.not.ready. to face the pregnancy and newborn stages and fogs right now.

I'm just grateful that HE is so good and gives us all the grace we need right when we need it.

BTW - I think your picture is adorable - allergy eyes and all. :)

west wind said...

It took me 6 months+ to get through the fog with my baby. BTW, I think you look great in your photo. I do not wear makeup, except for rare special occasions. When I do (or in a photo with makeup), my friends do not recognize me, because it does not look like me.