February 11, 2009

You'll Either Love It, Or Hate It . . .

Disclaimer: If you are a food snob who has no small children, eats exotically and shuns anything containing Cream of Chicken soup, turn away now. Do not read this post. It is not intended for the gourmet at heart.

If you can look at the above picture and immediately tell what we had for dinner on my birthday, you are either: a) a Mormon b)a fan of easy recipes or c) someone who uses "Cream of _____" soup in your cooking.

Because our church building houses three separate congregations, we rotate what time we'll go to church at the beginning of the new year. We are now at the 2:30 - 5:00 time, which is by far the least desirable time. It means I actually have to put forethought and effort into Sunday dinners. Needless to say, we are becoming really good friends with our Crock Pot and the delayed cooking feature on the oven! (Please leave any and ALL pertinent and delicious recipes in the comments section - I need your help!)

On my birthday I wanted something that would be easy and make everyone happy - including my one very picky eater child. I didn't want to listen to whining about food on my birthday. So we picked a meal that each person can customize and make their own - the Mormon Classic Hawaiian Haystacks.

I should probably mention here that some may hate the very idea of this recipe. If you are morally opposed to the combination of salty and sweet (think pineapple and ham on pizza) then this isn't for you. If you are against mixing fruit and meat, again this is not for you. If you don't like the idea of piling a bunch of seemingly random toppings on a heap of rice for a strangely delicious culinary experience, don't make this recipe.

I, however, really like it. The Hubby LOVES it. And my kids like to be in control (don't know where they get that from) and find joy in making their own specialized version of the Haystack, even if for one kid that means rice with cheese on it.

Enough! Here is the very simple recipe:

4-6 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
2 cans cream of chicken soup (I use the 98% fat free)
1 can chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Combine above ingredients over medium/low heat on stove until well mixed and warmed through. Pour chicken gravy over white rice. (I use Jasmine rice). Top with your choice of the following toppings:

fresh or canned pineapple (hence the Hawaiian)
shredded coconut (again, Aloha!)
Chow Mein noodles (there's the Haystack)
sunflower seeds (or slivered almonds)
raisins (or craisins)
diced celery
black olives
chopped tomatoes
shredded cheddar cheese
green onions
green bell peppers

Here's a picture of the Hubby's plate. He puts the gravy on last - which is a shame in my book - I like to put the gravy on first, then the cheese so it gets nice and melty.

So, have a go at it and let me know what you think. If you've already had this, tell us your opinion!

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw the first picture I started laughing and thought 'Those look like the ingredients for Hawaiian Haystacks!', then I kept reading to find out I was right. I had no idea anyone outside of my family knew what they were, let alone ate them!! Brings back childhood memories...I only ate the chicken and rice, and gravy. :)

Tobi said...

I must not be Mormon enough. I've never had Hawaiian Haystacks. I'm going to put this on my "To Be Attempted" recipe list.

Also here is a yummy crockpot dish for those Sunday dinners.

PEPPERCORN STEAK IN A CROCKPOT

--4 to 6 steaks (use whatever is on sale, it's going to tenderize nicely in the crock; don't buy expensive meat.)
--1 cup tomato sauce
--1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce (Lea Perrins is GF)
--1/4 cup of water
--2 chopped bell peppers (I used one yellow, one green)
--1 chopped yellow onion
--8 oz sliced mushrooms
--1 T Italian seasoning
--1/4 t black pepper

The Directions.

Put the meat in the crockpot; mine was still frozen solid. Cover with the chopped vegetables. Pour in the tomato sauce, Worcestershire, and water. Add the Italian seasoning and black pepper.

No need to stir.

Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 4-6. I cooked our dinner for 6 hours on high.

Lori said...

Love them...and proud of it. Deseret Books publishes a really great slow cooker recipe book...I get the official name and pass it along soon.

Lori said...

Oops...that would be I'll get not I get!

Apis Melliflora said...

I do enjoy "do it yourself" meals (because there's so little for me to do!).

My mouth is watering, but my troups would likely stear clear of all but the chicken gravy and rice.

Dan and Bec said...

Raised on it and love it! Guess what we are having tonight! Thanks Sam!

Nikki said...

I, too have never had Hawaiian Haystacks, although I've been Mormon my whole life. Here's another great, EASY, crock pot recipe that my kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

Crock Pot Chicken

Put frozen chicken (however many pieces you need) into crock pot.
1 pkg. Zesty Italian dressing mix (powder)
2 tablespoons of butter.

Let cook on low for about 5 hours.

1/2 hour before chicken in done, melt 1 can cream of chicken soup and 1 bar (?) cream cheese in pot. I usually like to add a little water (no more that 1/4 cup) so it makes more sauce.

Pour sauce into the chicken in the crock pot.

Serve over rice. So Yummy!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I have never heard of Hawaiian Haystacks-but count me as a Mormon want-to-be, because I am going to make that! It sounds so good and unique. (Is it really a Mormon dish?)
Also the crock-pot recipe book I live for is: Fix It and Forget IT. A great crock-pot book for those busy days...

Emily said...

We love hawaiian haystacks! Great choice for those late Sunday meetings.

chelsea said...

I love love love Hawaiian Haystacks!! YUM! I haven't had them in sooo long, but I am definitly craving them now!! My mom used to use one of those chips and dip platters that spin around to put in the middle of the table!! mmm I want some so bad now!!
ohh and how the heck do you get away with going to church for 2 1/2 hours and not 3?

Julie said...

I ♥ Hawaiian Haystacks! (hold the olives, please). I think this is a meal for people who like to mix their food, and I do. If you insist on not letting one food touch the other then it's probably not the dish for you because it's basically just a smashup of different textures and flavors. YUM.

Amanda said...

I don't know if you've ever had 'Cafe Rio' or 'Bajio' sweet pork, but I love it. So here is a recipe that is DANG close and soooo good.

Shredded Sweet Pork
3-4 lbs pork roast (I prefer no bone)
1 Cup Favorite salsa (I like mild, but you can go as high as medium; I would recommend blending it if it is chunky; I just used pace which worked fine)
1 1/2-2 Cups brown sugar (I went closer to two)

Mix salsa and sugar. Pour over roast in slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours. Somewhere in the last three hours I like to shred the roast so it absorbs even more juice, but you can wait till the end to do it as well. That's it.

I serve it in a tortilla (totally not necessary) with spanish rice, black beans, lettuce and dressing. (Maybe a spoonful of sour cream, guacamole, salsa.) So a Sweet Pork Salad. Here is the tasty salad dressing I use.

Creamy Cilantro Ranch Dressing
3 tomatillos quartered
1 buttermilk ranch dressing packet
1 c. Mayo
1/3-1/2 C buttermilk
1 C. fress cilantro
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. Lime juice
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (I don't put this in)
Add everything to a blender and blend well, put in fridge for at least and hour.

I know this meal might sound complicated, really it's not. You through the roast in (takes me literally 3-7 minutes) and make the dressing (10 min). Then about 20 minutes before you are going to eat make the rice (I just use those instant spanish rice packets), while that is cooking throw a can of black beans in the microwave and prepare the lettuce. SOOOOOO tasty. SOOOOO easy.