February 4, 2009

Alphabet Soup . . .

Oooh! Look what I found at the thrift store today. What? You're not excited about an old Scrabble game held together with tape and a rubber band? I am! I never pass up a game of Scrabble at ANY thrift store as long as it is priced under $3.00. I think I have purchased at least ten games of Scrabble in the past three years. What's up America? Doesn't anyone play Scrabble any more?

Actually, I don't buy Scrabble to play the game - though I do love speed Scrabble. If you want to know why I buy it, you need look no further than the header for this blog. I buy it for the alphabet and the alphabet alone.

Here's my big white bowl of Scrabble tiles. It sits on a little desk in our family room and every month we spell out some kind of message - to celebrate a birthday, to celebrate a holiday, to celebrate visitors coming to stay at our house. I can't say this is an original idea. I stole it from my mom (The Queen), who I'm sure found it in some great decorating magazine that has now gone belly up (I'm shedding a tear right now for Cottage Living, R.I.P.).

Here's this month's message - a quote by the philosopher Plato. I thought it was appropriate for February . . . you know, love and all.



And if you're lucky, one of my thrift store outings might work in your favor and you could receive a little birthday gift from me that looks like this:


Don't think of me as a cheap friend who only spent $1 to $3 on you for your birthday. Think of me as a wordsmith, encouraging you to get your literary game on.

PS. The whole Scrabble tile thing is not a good idea for families with toddlers or children of any age who enjoy putting small objects in their mouths.

P.P.S. If I did give you this for your birthday, it would always be accompanied by something delicious, like a plate of boyfriend cookies, some low fat chocolate chip banana bread, or a pan of my MIL's cinnamon rolls. See how much I love you?
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Emily said...

Great Find! I like this idea, except D would eat them for sure, maybe when he gets a bit older.

Kasey said...

Great idea. I like this. I like Scrabble and I like to play Boggle.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

i love that present! :-)

You are so clever.

chelsea said...

That is an awesome idea!! Love it!

Shelby said...

You had to mention Boyfriend Cookes, chocolate chip bannana bread, and cinnamon rolls. And now I'm craving them all. Thanks. (sigh). Still, the whole Scrabble thing is totally awesome. I loved the quote too!

Apis Melliflora said...

I love everything about this post:

The brilliant author,
Scrabble letters,
Plato and poetry,
Plates of cookies,
birthdays and bows,
Pictures of pretty
and mention of
the Queen...
most point worthy of all.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Uh-My birthday is November 6th...

Love your ideas, seriously!!

The Queen Vee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Queen Vee said...

I wish I could take credit for this great Idea but I borrowed it from someone else. All credit for this clever scrabble re-scrabbled is do to JOY, an antique dealer in Denver. My sis Linda borrowed the idea from JOY, and I borrowed it from Linda and now all the rest of you out their in Blog Land can enjoy it too.

Happy Scrabbling....

Tobi said...

Upon my joining this Nelson/Carlson/Zenger/Wilkinson family it was bequeathed upon me my own bowl filled with scrabble letters. A very unique idea that has become a signature of this family. Fabulous!

Hil said...

I love Scrabble! Bryan got me the "deluxe" version for Christmas with the wheels that spin the board around so nicely. He's played me once since then...
My sister, Alison, and I play an online version when we can, though, so I can get my fix.
Let me know if you want to play online sometime. :)
Hugs!

MelancholySmile said...

I'm with you on the 'wordsmith' front! I also really love magnetic poetry, and have a wall of it in our guest bathroom. It's always fun to see what people write in there. :) My mom uses the scrabble tiles- she put small magnets on them and we leave messages back and forth on the refrigerator. So I agree-- scrabble tiles make wonderful birthday gifts!

Lori said...

I can feel the love already...by the way July 13th is my lucky day! HA! My kids love to write messages to Grandma Z when they visit. It always brings a smile to her face...it's a really fun family tradition.

Gigi said...

I love this idea so much! I'm hunting for a used Scrabble game, but so far no luck. Can't wait to try this! I wrote about your idea in my latest post about ideas for old Scrabble games. Thanks for the inspiration- the Plato quote is awesome.