December 17, 2008

For Tobi . . .

Last year during the holidays I wrote a post about my favorite holiday cookie. I've already made four batches of "the ginger snaps" this month and they are gone. I think I'll make a few more before we turn the page from 2008 to 2009.

And now, as a small birthday gift to a spicy and snazzy friend/relative, I give the recipe for a spicy and snazzy cookie. Make some of these bad boys - and then thank me later.

Sister Benson's Ginger Cookies

1 1/2 C shortening
2 C sugar
1/2 C molasses
2 eggs
4 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves

Cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses and eggs. Sift flour and dry ingredients, then combine with wet ingredients. Shape dough into 1 inch balls, roll in sugar and press lightly with bottom of drinking glass. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet. Yields about 5-6 dozen.

9 comments:

Tobi said...

Oh Thank You Samantha! You are too good to me. I appreciate you taking the time to share this recipe with me.

Apis Melliflora said...

Yum, yum, yum. Tobi, you're in trouble. I promise you, you can't stop with just one. Dangerously delicious, "bad boys" indeed!

Suzanne C said...

If these are anything like the Boyfriend Cookies, I am sunk! Thanks for sharing!

The Queen Vee said...

Must use Shortening! Butter, margerine won't work. Must be shortening! They're deadly and delicious.

Mammallama said...

Thank you Samantha whoever you are for the wonderful cookies, and for the Hippo Birdy Ewe Ewe for Tobi.
Tobi's Mammallama

Susan said...

I can't wait to be off this stinkin diet so I can make these yummy cookies!

Ryan said...

I says to myself, "GREAT DAY!" I super-uber heart these cookies and can't wait to have a kitchen in a month to try these perfect cookies out!!! YAHOOOOOO!!!

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Oh I'm glad I looked at the comments because I almost started baking these with butter. Now I need to go and brave the ice again to get shortening. Would you believe that of all the food I have here I don't have shortening?

Aiketa said...

And here is the recipe for the famous "Ginger Snaps"... I may try to make them during the holidays. ;)