December 19, 2008

If A Tree Could Talk . . .

Mine would say, "Hey there! How ya doing? I'm great, I'm fake and I'm totally prelit. I have saved the Dragonfly's marriage by ending the argument of whether or not the back of a tree should be lit. I am totally and completely adored by my family."

At one point in my life, I thought an artificial tree was a sacrilege. I had to have that real pine scent in my home. I had to have the experience of freezing my tookus off while picking the perfect tree in the blasted cold. Then, back in the late 90's we had two live trees die, two years in a row, BEFORE CHRISTMAS DAY! That was all it took for me. I cleaned up brown pine needles for weeks. Add in the whole lighting of the tree issue, which put a strain on the Hubby and I each year as we barked orders at each other to start off this joyous season, and our decision to go artificial still seems like a blessing nine years later.

I'm not going to lie - I am jealous of people like mamela on the mountain who can actually go out on the mountain she lives on a pick a great tree to bring home. That is definitely the way to do a live tree! There is just something about a live tree that is special.

But, I do love my fake tree, and today I thought I'd give you a little tour of it. I should start by saying I don't think pictures do justice to Christmas trees. I've been looking at a lot of trees on blogs and it's just not the same as seeing it in person.

Our tree is a hodge podge of blue, brown and gold. It's got a little bit of everything on it - from dried hydrangeas and grapevine balls, to birds and glittery Christmas words. It's even got a great thrift store Santa on top.

Here's a gold angel I found for a quarter at a thrift store. She's heralding some exciting news and I love her flowing dress and upright wings.

Here's a good chunk of tree miscellany - cinnamon sticks, a bird's nest, a great bird from Target, a bejeweled snowflake, a glittery Christmas tree. Can you see that the look I'm going for is humble and natural mixed with treasured and special?

And here is my very favorite part of our tree - because it is both humble and natural and treasured and special. For our family, this is what Christmas is all about:

What makes your tree special to you?
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

C and Co. said...

Okay, someone has been taking photography classes because that picture of the baby Jesus in the nest is just art. Your tree is just holidabulous!! (How's that for a new made up word??)

Sue said...

I worship the person who invented the pre-lit tree.

My favorite ornaments are a few of the Kathe Wolfhart's from Germany that I inherited from my Mom and Gram. They remind me so much of the Nurnburgh Christmas market and the magical beauty of a German Christmas. My other treasured ornaments are variations of the nativity scene. Someday I want to have a whole tree full of just nativities.

Kasey said...

I love your tree. It's beautiful. I like the homemade ornaments. That's is what makes our tree special.

Apis Melliflora said...

The pictures of your tree are beautiful and, I'd venture to say, might even do it justice.

Our tree's theme is total visual chaos, a hodge-podge of this, that and the other. It also changes on a daily basis as half the ornaments are removed and rehung each day (by fingers big and small).

My favorites are the oldest: a felt angel my sister made for me and the sentimental: one of each of the children's pacifiers.

My hubby came with a "dowry" of German Christmas ornaments too! Bonus!

Tobi said...

Your pictures are gorgeous and so is the tree!! I'm totally on the Pre-Lit band wagon. Never going back to the "real" thing.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I love that last ornament-so sweet, and so true.
I have a "fake one" to decorate very "elegant", and the real one that is sentamental with kid projects, our ornaments through the years, and of course, colored lights...with a train at the bottom-I hate the mess, but love our kids reactions....
Merry Christmas, your tree is lovely...

The Queen Vee said...

Your right, a picture of a Christmas tree just doesn't do it justice. Love real live trees but have converted to the prelit fake. I think it's part of the aging process.

Your tree is gorgeous!

squeezeme said...

What a gorgeous tree, Sam. Next year I'll share my tree with you.....

Suzanne C said...

Hi Sam! I sang praises about your recipes on my blog: camarenacircus.blogspot.com
The cookies are fantastic!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of my tree is my "do dad's that my mother placed on my packages each year growing up. My collection of ornaments will bring a tree down..but somehow they all fit! One of favorites is one you gave me years ago...it is the same one featured in the last picture of this post...everyone always comments on it...no wonder! Thank you for sharing it with me!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Love,

The Kriel's

west wind said...

Wow, what a great birthday treat. To be mentioned in a special someone's blogpost on my birthday. Guess I need to get those pre-written blogposts out of my head and into my own blog now that more people are reading. I am a little behind. That and we still need to bring in our charlie brown christmas tree because of the intense Nor'easter we had this weekend.

Emily said...

Your tree is or was absolutely amazing. Your pictures of it are great!