November 3, 2008

Thank You Nie Nie . . .

As part of Hannie B's birthday celebration on Saturday, we began a new tradition which we learned from Stephanie Nielsen of Nie Nie Dialogues. Each of our family members wrote a wish on a balloon for sweet HB for the upcoming year. After reading our wishes to her, we all went out into the yard and released the balloons up into the heavens with the sincerest hopes that they will come true. The children loved watching the balloons float higher and higher into the night sky and Hannie B said it was her favorite part of the day.

I would encourage you to read about Stephanie here. Her story is inspiring and gives me perspective every single day.

Happy Birthday sweet Hannie B!



Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

I really hope my wishes for Hannie B come true. Thank you Nie Nie for a great idea and may you continue to heal is the prayer of many.

LJB said...

What a great idea! It's amazing how inspiring others are to us and how we can be inspiring to others without realizing too! I hope all the wishes come true for Hannie B and that she has a GREAT year!

Lori Gerten said...

What a wonderful idea!!

Kasey said...

Great idea.

Emily said...

What a great tradition to start!

Julie said...

Very sweet idea!

Not to get all "green" on you, but did you know that your balloon release would be much more environmentally friendly without the ribbon? (or you could use biodegradable cotton string.)

Latex balloons are biodegradable if they are hand-tied without the plastic clips and if they don't have ribbon tied to them. But the ribbon is not degradable and can get tied to trees, polls, etc. and possibly be harmful to birds.

Man, I sound like a buzzkill. I'm really not a hippie.

The Dragonfly said...

Thanks for the great idea Julie! I will definitely do that for Chris' birthday in a few weeks!

Jodie said...

So stealing the idea!! If that's okay?? It was great to see you. I am hoping to post my VA week sooner than later. Can't wait to see your Christmas gift soon! I LOVE your blog

Apis Melliflora said...

Fantastic way to start Hannie B.'s 9th year off right and to nod in the Nie Nie direction at the same time--so meaningful.

I'm gonna borrow this tradition too.

Susan said...

What a wonderful idea! I hope all of the wishers for Hannie B come true as well.