November 11, 2008

A New Addition To Our Family . . .


We're welcoming a sixth member to our family! He's small, really, really cute and he's pink!

Meet "Hammy" - aptly named by the Lee children - who resides on the windowsill above the kitchen sink during the daytime, but joins us each night for dinner at the table. You've probably already guessed that I am not the type who collects small ceramic animal figurines. This one has special significance however, and in a desperate hope that it will actually work for us, I'm consenting to owning and displaying a ceramic piglet.

You see, during the Hubby's childhood days, a ceramic pig would be placed on the table at the beginning of each evening mealtime. As dinner progressed, those at the table who used bad manners would be passed the pig. Whoever ended up with the pig in front of their plate once the meal had ended had to do the dishes.

When we came across Hammy in a boutique this weekend in Roanoke, our hearts melted (mostly Hannie B's heart) and we knew he had to come home with us. He's eaten with us twice now and I'm enjoying his company. It is funny to watch the kids try on purpose to have bad manners just to have the cute pig sit with them for a minute. But, after Hannie B and the RedDog had to help do the dishes, I think they are realizing the benefits of having good manners at the table. I'm realizing the benefit of being the one who gets to award the pig to offenders.

Just thought I'd share a picture of our newest family member for you all to enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

Love this idea! When all of our children are old enough, we'll be getting ourselves a pig. But we can't call him Hammy. That name's already taken.

Kasey said...

That's a really cool idea.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I love this idea! I hope I won't get the pig and have to do the dishes!

The Queen Vee said...

You could have saved the money and used me as the pig.

Sounds like a good idea to me. You'll have to give us a report after trying it out for a year.

Emily said...

What a cute pig and great idea! I guess I need myself a pig.

Dion Seneca said...

SUCH a cute idea! I am now officially on the search for a pig!

Amy Jo said...

What a great idea!