November 24, 2008

Another Food Obsession . . .

I know what you're thinking - "This girl talks about food a lot. Does she think she's some kind of culinary genius? Does she think her food wisdom is really worth imparting? Nah, but I bet she can put food down her hole like no body's business!" (you would be correct.)

I actually had someone ask me why I haven't started a food blog yet. It's because I'm a total food poser. People like my sis-in-law Audrey are qualified to have a food blog. I'm qualified to say something every now and again about food I love that mostly other people make.

Today I want to encourage all who have not yet had the privilege to get themselves over to the grocery store and buy a Honeycrisp Apple.

I am a certified apple snob. Red Delicious - eww! Squishy, bland and used for school lunches. Granny Smith - nope. Too sour for cutting and eating, even if great for baking. Gala - overdone. Pink Lady - not crisp enough. I could go on and on about graininess, texture, size, etc. Enter the Honeycrisp.


First a little history: The Honeycrisp apple (Malus pumila cultivar Honeycrisp) was adopted as the state fruit of Minnesota in 2006. The apple was produced from a 1960 cross of Macoun and Honeygold apples, as part of the University of Minnesota apple breeding program to develop a winter-hardy tree with high quality fruit.


Honeycrisp
apples are characterized by an exceptionally crisp and juicy texture. They are a perfect mix of honey sweetness and hint of tartness. When you bite into a Honeycrisp, you hear that crackling sound that tells you it's a good one - EVERY TIME! This apple is considered "dessert quality" which in my mind means it could be cut up and served by itself as a dessert. It is also good for use in baking desserts.


These apples are not cheap. You will not find them on sale for 99 cents a pound - ever. But my grocery store has had them on sale for $1.79 a pound the past three times I've shopped and I have hoarded the Honeycrisps into my cart like they were giving them away for free. I have eaten one of these apples every day for the past three weeks, feeling joy with each crunchy bite and thinking to myself, "This is what Autumn really tastes like. I love you apple."


Go give a Honeycrisp a try and let me know what you think. And if you eat Red Delicious apples, shame on you.

13 comments:

Kasey said...

I have to agree with you. I just had a honey crisp last night.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Honeycrisps are the best! Crunchy! And sweet, but not too sweet!!!

Emily said...

I didn't know this type of Apple existed. You make me want to run to the store right now. I am craving one of these apples. I usually buy Galas. I'll be on the look out. Hope I can find one.

The Queen Vee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Queen Vee said...

Honey you know how to pick them and an Apple a day keeps the doctor away

Apis Melliflora said...

This blog makes me exceedingly happy. An apple a day has tremendous health benefits too!

Honeycrisps are delish. So are Jonagolds. Gala gets us through the non-apple season.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

You live in the wrong state. I won't pay over 99 cents a pound for honeycrisp - but those are my "dang it - they don't have my FAV apples in stock" apples.

The PINOVA my friend.

THE PINOVA...

You'll thank me.

The Dragonfly said...

Anderson Zoo, they do not carry Pinova in any of the three grocery stores I frequent - must be something about the "woodsy/earthiness" of the people of WA state. I'm looking forward to you shipping me some Pinova's for the holiday . . . until then, I'm a honeycrisp girl through and through. :)

Lori Gerten said...

Being a Minnesotan I am a huge fan of honeycrisp. We don't get it any cheaper here either!

Funny thing. .. as I was reading your blog I was munching on a honeycrisp. I kid you not!!!!!

Tobi said...

Give me a grape, a strawberry or a banana anyday. I am so not an apple girl. Although your blog made me consider at least trying one.

Dion Seneca said...

You are the second person this week who has raved over the honeycrisp apple. I went out and bought a bunch...but, I must say, they were not my favorite *gasp* Perhaps I got a bad bunch. The ones I had were lacking in tartness and a bit too sweet. They were not super crisp, either. Perhaps I need to try again. Until then, I will stick with my Jonathans when I can find them...and Pink Lady's when I cannot.

west wind said...

Lots of heirloom apple varieties growing in these mountains. Sheep's Nose is a favorite, flavorful with hints of pear and cinnamon. The narrow bottom looks like a sheep's nose. Liberty, similar to MacIntosh and Cortland but smaller and crunchier. Interestingly, Japanese varieties grow well here. Try Mutsu! My favorite pie apple.

Stacey Gerlach Moe said...

I love these apples. It makes me proud to be from Minnesota.