September 10, 2008

To Faux Or Not To Faux . . .

I am a serial killer.

Of house plants, that is.

It seems there is a great debate in the decorating world about the appropriateness of using artificial (p.c. for fake) greenery and flowers in one's house. I quote a recent HGTV show demonstrating the top 25 worst decorating blunders:

"This is controversial, but fake flowers (and plants) are a mistake. They gather dust and don't bring life into your home like real flowers do, which look and smell better. Fresh flowers are expensive, but there are other things you can do instead of buying them all the time. Put lemons or other fruit in a bowl for a punch of color. Or, use some dried natural material like curly willow or bamboo stalks."

I don't really care what the people of HGTV say -- okay, I would care if these words had come directly out of Candace Olsen's mouth, but they didn't. In this one thing, I do err on the side of tackiness, and frankly, I'm happy with it. I would rather have my few, semi-classy looking fauxs in my house than to have the death of another innocent plant on my hands.

My imaginary friend over at The Nesting Place has challenged us to show our great fakes and prove to all those P.O.O.P.I.E.s (People Opposing Objectionable Pretend Plants In the Environment) out there that we're still good decorators. I hope you'll enjoy a piece of my shame, delightful readers. And thanks Nester for the party!

(I faux in my entry)

(I faux on top of my piano.)

(And I faux in my kitchen. First faux was on my mantle.)Posted by Picasa

22 comments:

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Your mantel is so pretty! -Julia :-)

Unknown said...

Love all your plants! Who cares if they are alive or not...they look good!
diane

The Nester said...

what an enjoyable blog you have and guess what, I'm not pretend--I'm real!!!!

Love you!

Nancy Rosalina said...

I like all your plants and they look great! Love the Mantel! Nancy

C and Co. said...

You faux fabulously!!! Poo Poo on the P.O.O.P.I.E.s!

P.S. I faux as well!!

Apis Melliflora said...

This post puts a big smile on my face. I too have a brown thumb. I too have faux feuilles scattered throughout my house. I too saw that HGTV special. And I too bristled with indignation at that one.

But I do looove fresh flowers and greens.

Queen Bean said...

What beautiful fakes! Deana

Julie said...

I agree that fakes can get dusty and faded which is why I don't have them in my house. But if you are a frequent duster (which clearly I'm not) then I'm sure you are fine. Plus, there are cheap looking ones and nice once and you obviously have nice ones. They looked delightful in the pictures. And I would never question your taste. Your house is decorated so cute! I do like dried plants like lavender (although it's messy) and I also have those big sticks or reeds or whatever you call 'em from IKEA. Oh and I have a few pictures of plants too. Ha ha ha.

These Are The Days said...

Oh man, yours are pretty. Just when I was feeling totally nautious from all the plastic, dusty fakeness I've seen today. Good job. :)

Gretchen said...

I love love love your mantel!
The combination of different textures, in similar containers is ... soothing! Gorgeous!

squeezeme said...

Here's the deal, Sam. No matter what you write about I am completely and totally entertained! I just love your fauxs, but their is NOTHING faux about you, so there all you P.O.O.P.I.E.s!

Robin said...

Oh My! That Mantle is beautiful! I want those containers! I want to wring HGTV's necks!
I would LOVE to have fresh flowers everyday in every single room, but I don't have one of those Gold Coast Mansions or the team of gardeners to dally with all that!
Now I could BUY them, but have you SMELLED THEM??? Do they SMELL good to you??? I think they smell like Funeral Flowers (I attended way too many quite a few years ago)..can't stand that particular smell!
Oh my...your's are just scrumptious!

Shane H. said...

I'm loving the faux in your kitchen!

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Howdy friend, of course faux is fine. So long as it is nice faux and yours are far above par - they are excellent.
It's that whole "dead looking faux tree in the corner" look that's a little by-gone...
Not that I know anyone who does such a thing. ☺

Emily said...

I think I'll join the party. You have beautiful fakes, as always!

Lamp Tramp said...

Your fauxs are very nice!

Meghan said...

Love all the white you have going on!!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Your fakes are great! What a pretty blog you have. I too am a fake plant lover & have plenty around.

Rhoda

Joy said...

Your plants are faux-tastic! And so much easier to take care of than the real stuff. Plus they don't mind if you put them in storage for a while or move them away from a sunny location. Faux can be fabulous!

Emily said...

Wow, You made it on Nesting Place as a favorite POOPIE! Congratulations!

The Queen Vee said...

HGTV said fake plants are faux pas, this from a channel that airs Design on a Dime and other similar tacky design shows. Your Fauxs are Fauxperfect for your budget. You have a warm inviting home, keep it up decorating diva.

The Lunch Lady said...

I have a topiary business called "the faux pot" (GET IT?) and for a very good reason, I can't keep the real ones alive. It's really a sick joke to buy me a live plant. I've killed them ALL. Topiaries (silk and dried) are a wonderful decorating tool that doesn't die, ever!

www.customtopiaries.com

Yeah for "faux!"