September 16, 2008

Secret Obsession Numero Dos

Anyone remember the great uproar of comments (mostly in the negative) that I got when I posted about these sugary marshmallow treats?

Well, since for me it's now unofficially fall - due to the fact that I was cold at my son's baseball game last night - I'm unveiling another one of my secret obsessions. I have an ally in my court this time though, as noted here.

Today I'm officially declaring my true love for Brach's mallowcreme pumpkins - sorry, can't do the corns, it takes too many to make a substantially sugary bite! Though I feel a little less guilt knowing these puppies are FAT FREE, I can't justify the irrational behavior of eating the daily caloric intake of two people by myself on any given day that they sit atop my refrigerator - can I? But they are so sweet, so smooth, so very fallish! Do I have any supporters out there on this one?

Here are a few candy corn facts to brighten your day:

  • Candy corn has been poking out of trick-or-treaters' candy piles for more than a century. George Renninger of the Wunderlee Candy Co. created candy corn in the 1880s.
  • To make candy corn, Brach's use sugar, corn syrup, honey and salt. A serving size of 22 pieces contains 140 calories and no fat.
  • Each year Americans consume enough Brach's candy corn to circle the earth 4.25 times, according to the candy's bag. Midwesterners top Brach's consumer list of candy corn. (How funny that the nation's corn producers love their candy corn!)
  • Each year Samantha consumes enough candy pumpkins to circle the earth 4.35 times - by herself.

13 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

Brach's pumpkins are good but I'm a corn woman myself and could easily eat a large bag in one sitting. If my choice were between Candy Corns and Mary Janes that would be a different story. The peanut buttery taffy would easily win out. Thank goodness these fall treats are only around for a few months of the year as my rubenesque figure can only take so much caloric abuse.

Julie said...

I can't get on board with the peeps - BLEK! but love the candy corn and pumpkins! I tend to overdose though and make myself sick which is very easy to do when you are eating solidified sugar and corn syrup. I know that many people hate these candies but I support your love for them. I don't usually let myself buy them because I will keep snacking on them until I'm belly-aching -- but maybe I'll buy some for a special treat in October.

Apis Melliflora said...

With each passing year, I like candy less and less and like chocolate more and more.

Is that normal?

I like the candy corn and pumpkins as decorations...but, lucky me, I can resist their sugary call.

Tobi said...

Love the pumpkins! Hate the corn. I know they are supposed to taste the same but to me the corn is just nasty.

This post sounds like an episode of Unwrapped. I love it!

The Carlsons said...

Hmm, I think I posted about my pumpkin obsession last year. I've already been threw 2 bags. It's a true problems that I will just have to deal with until Christmas.

And yes, it's fall, I have a pumpkin on my porch. :-)

The Dragonfly said...

I totally gave you props Audrey! If you clicked on the word "here" in my post where I said I had an ally - I totally linked over to your blog from last year. Love you!

squeezeme said...

Sorry dear friend....it's strike two for me with your secret obsessions! Alas, we may not have the same palette for food, but there are many, many other subjects upon which we agree. Happy munching on your sugary delights!

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessie said...

I must say I love candy corns and like the pumpkins. They are so cute. I bought an autumn mix for bribery/rewards for Grant's potty training, and I've ended up eating way too many. I cannot resist! But, we don't have to feel completely guilty, because they're "made with real honey." No matter that the honey is only a small percentage of the sugar involved!

Jodie said...

LOVE the pumpkins! Finally catching up on all the blogs. Where does time go. You are such an amazing writer, very entertaining. Loves the post about your mom. Rachael and I are coming out next month, can't wait to see you!

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

You and my husband (and kids). They can mainline these things (and corn).
I refused to buy some the other day because I didn't want to start down that path. I ought to see if I can send him some, they may hold up to the heat. I've been mind-blocking sending him halloween treats since he'll be home for halloween, but I guess it wouldn't kill him to get a few treats pre-halloween.
I'll consider.

Big Toe Mom said...

i soooo LOVE the pumpkins more than the candy corn....
but i am a sucker for BUNNY corn. ( all pastel and even pink and purple- ahhh) i guess by the time Easter rolls around i am ready for my candy fix. i just bought a bag of pumpkins today at Target and.... some pumpkin spice Hershey Kisses.
i still need to taste those...
i guess its time to get into the pumkins for my almost midnite snack, lol!!! thanks, Sandi

cherry said...

Omigosh....I love your blog...sooo sweet pics. Literally i guess rofl. I just posted using old vintage scramble tiles as well. cherry