March 25, 2008

Secret Obsession . . .

One more reason to love the Easter season - we get to pay a little homage to the one and true sweet Easter delight - THE MARSHMALLOW PEEP! Yeah, Yeah, I know they're a year round commodity these days but Peep pumpkins and Peep patriotic stars are not the real deal.

The real deal is the yellow Peep chick. I've decided to make allowances for the purple chicks and the pink bunnies, because look how cute they made these Easter cupcakes we enjoyed this weekend!

Peeps are a bit polarizing - have you noticed? You either love them or you hate them. My mom loves them after they've been sitting out for a few days and become just a little crusty on the outside. Soren loves them stuffed whole into his little mouth and chewed very slowly. Hannah hates them because there's too much sugar on the outside. My brother Chris hates them and claims that mom tortures him year after year by talking about how much he loves them. I love them not only because they're just so darned cute and bright but also because this year I found them dipped in chocolate . . . have mercy!

The Hubby's sisters had a running joke when we were first married involving Peeps. Someone bought a box of yellow chicks and sent them as a gag gift (obviously they're haters). The recipient kept the Peeps and mailed them to another sister the next Easter. This went on for a few years until we got the rock hard Peeps in the mail and I threw them away. I then bought myself a new box and ate the entire thing in one sitting - not highly recommended.

So - it's time to sound off on Peeps, people. Are you a lover or a hater? Tell me why. In the meantime, thought you'd enjoy a few shots of my peeps with this year's Peeps!



Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

PEEPS are a sugar high that makes me smile. They're just Peepaicious! Chris C is a Peep scrouge but it's okay because that leaves more for the rest of us Peep loving peeps.

The Carlsons said...

Peeps are evil and must be destroyed. That nasty bright colored sugar, glued on that rubbery marshmellow...EEEWWW. They look so innocent but their secret goal is to fatten and bring cavities to the naive children of the Earth. (Although I do have to admit that putting them in the microwave and watching them grow until they explode is quite satifying.)

The Dragonfly said...

Thanks for the idea Audrey - I think I'll put a peep in the microwave with a graham cracker and try a peep s'more!

The Carlsons said...

Actually, it was me, Black Sheep, logged in as Audrey :-)

Sue said...

It's not the marshmallow that bothers me, it's the gritty coating that's just nasty. And that's saying alot, coming from a complete candy freak like me. I mean, I'll eat almost anything in the candy aisle and easter is the best candy holiday of the year. But I pass on the Peeps.

Although I might be able to stomach them in a s'more.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I used to be a fan of the aged Peep, but now I can't get past the sugar overload. But my dad is a total Peep-aholic.

chelsea said...

ew. i will just leave it at that for fear of being a "hater" :)

Tobi said...

Exploding peeps sounds cool!! I like peeps but I'm all for crazy food experiments!

Lori Gerten said...

Comment debut. . .
Hey Sam! What a treat to comment for my first time about peeps. I actually am a hater but I'm going to come to the dark side soon because I have a great peep recipe!

In the summer you can roast your peeps over a campfire. Yum. They are like crem brulee.

I highly recommend it. Oh and now that it's easter, I'd love to give a shout out to all my peeps!!

Thanks for being a blog supporter!

Susan said...

I do like PEEPS after they have been out of the package for about a day. I use to eat them all the time when I was a kid. Now I can just eat two or three before feeling the massive sugar overload. I like the idea to cook them over a campfire. Might have to try that one at girls camp this summer :)

squeezeme said...

This post is entitled, "PEEPS, A NOT SO SECRET DETESTATION." UUUGGGG. For being so alike Sam, we definately have a few differences in the palate....tomatoes, Samoas, Peeps.....but you and Matt can enjoy together. LOVE YOU!

Matt said...

I'm with Audrey on this on, I am almost 100% convinced that "Peep" is the word for "Satan" in another language.

The Carlsons said...

Chris needs to identify himself when he post like I do....anyway, I'm a lover and a hater. I don't really like them but if they are they and a little dried out like mom likes them I'll eat them anyway. I will however try them at girls camp this summer. I'll have to buy some patriotic stars for that sole purpose.
I did however really enjoy the Food Network show about how peeps are made... A