June 19, 2008

Summer Fun - Day One: One Still Life, Four Perspectives






Posted by Picasa


I've armed myself for the summer with activities for my kids when the come to me with the universal cry of "I'm bored!". I didn't think I would have to use my ammunition as early as the first day of summer vacation, but as it turns out, none of the regular neighborhood buddies could play - which amounts to sheer torture for my kids!

So today we had our first art lesson. The fact that they didn't bolt when I said "art lesson" was a really good sign. I threw together a still life using some fruit and a wooden plate I had. First I explained to the kids what a still life was. Then we talked about perspective and objects in relationship to eachother. We recognized that since each person was sitting in a different seat in relation to the still life, each picture would look different.

I did a drawing too! The older kids watercolored their pencil sketches, while the RedDog used colored pencils and I used oil pastels (not a good choice because all we had was watercolor paper.) It was really fun and I think the paintings turned out great! We're starting a summer art gallery today. What do you think?
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Julie said...

Very impressed. What a creative, fun mom you are. My painting would be very much an impressionist one and you'd have to use your imagination to see the fruit. I have no talents when it comes to drawing and painting.

Anonymous said...

How much for the prints?

The Queen Vee said...

Congratulations to all my little Renoirs and Rembrandts. I'll look forward to viewing more of your stunning art pieces through the summer Actually I think I may have to borrow these latest for a little card making effort.

Loved all the sidewalk art too Samantha and thanks for the cookies last night, YUM!

Tobi said...

What a creative idea! I love it. I want to try this when the kiddies are a tad older.

I'm with Julie though. My artistic skill is minimal. I can't even make stick figures look nice.

TracieCarter said...

Great idea for the years ahead! Hopefully our little girl will be an artist like Hannah!

I felt like an accidental fun mom Wednesday when Nancy W and I w/ kids in tow stumbled upon the stream at Ashburn Park where some moms had set up camp. They'd brought their camp chairs and lunch while their kids dug and discovered water life w/ all their beach tools and some actual shovels. My boys were in heaven walkin' around following the big kids. Definite fun times!