June 11, 2008

Seriously? Seriously! (But, but, Butt!)

I don't even know how to write this post because it is actually unreal to me. At the same time, I've got to get it off my chest, so for the first time ever, I'm actually going to use the blog to vent about something that has frustrated, shocked and truly disturbed me. I usually try to steer clear of the political and the controversial -- I leave that up to my dad and my good friend over at The Anderson Zoo. But today you're gonna get an earful!

Yesterday I found out that my oldest child's school teacher (4th grade) is reading a book aloud to the class. Perfectly normal occurrence. No big deal, right? Except that the title of the book is "The Day My Butt Went Psycho". Yes, that's correct, I said butt - as in the slang for behind, rear end, tushie or bottom. I thought surely my boy was mistaken about the title. But he was insistent and restated the title for me (in front our two younger kiddoes) two more times.

The next logical question, of course was "Well, what's this book about?" Said oldest child proceeds to give a far too specific narrative of the book's plot - including details about the "Laxative Launchers" and the "Great White Butt". You've gotta know that we just don't use that kind of language in our house. B-U-T-T is a four letter word here. We've made a conscious effort to discourage irreverent potty humor at all times. It's just isn't allowed. Now I know you're just dying to hear more about this captivating read, so I've pasted a direct copy of the book's description into the blog for your reading enjoyment:

Zack Freeman's butt is constantly detaching itself from his body and running off. One night, when he follows his butt, he learns that there is a plot by butts to take over the world. Specifically, the butts plan to create a huge, world-wide
fart by building up a massive quantity of methane gas in the "Buttcano". When the Buttcano blows, all humans will be unconscious. While they are unconscious, the butts will seize their chance and switch places with their heads.

Fortunately, Zack meets the "Butthunter" and his daughter, Eleanor, and is introduced to the realities of life in a world where butts are constantly a threat. To prevent the "Buttpocalypse", the friends enlist the help of the Kisser, the Kicker, the Smacker and Ned Smelly. The characters encounter a variety of butt-related places and things, including the "Great Windy Desert", "flying butt squadrons", Stenchgantor The Unwiped Butt and the Great White Butt.

It goes without saying that I almost fell off my chair when I read this synopsis on the internet. Almost. Fell. Off. Chair. I was seething. In fact, I'm pretty sure there was smoke coming out of both my ears and my face was all smooshed up and red like you see in cartoons. I immediately told the sweet oldest child that I would be having a talk with his teacher. He responded in horror and embarrassment, but after I posed the question "Would you feel comfortable reading this book if Jesus were in the room?" he relented and said he knew what I had to do.

I didn't mention to my son that parents across the country had actually praised this AWARD WINNING book - seriously, had given it five out of five stars - for helping their "reluctant reader" sons to finally get interested in books. They didn't mention, however, that now they have to find more books for their sons that stoop to the lowest levels of vulgarity just to keep them reading. Yay for them, there's a sequel that has something to do with 'Zombies from Uranus'. No, I'm not kidding.

I am so disappointed. Disappointed in the teacher's choice to read this book to the class. Disappointed in the stinkin' author who's making money off this trash. Disappointed that this book actually won an award - which probably means parents will buy it for that reason alone. Disappointed that kids think this is great reading material when there are some truly amazing books out there for kids, and especially boys, right now. Disappointed as an English teacher and book lover that we've gotten to a point in our society where we willingly pass of the crass and private as public domain for children to mock and laugh at. Disappointed that my kid actually thought it was funny and paid close attention to what was being read. And really, really disappointed in myself for not asking more questions sooner about what kind of books the 4th grade teachers are reading to their students.

We Northern Virginians pride ourselves on our excellent school systems. This is actually the first time I've had to "take a stand" on behalf of my children in the educational arena. I was pretty freaked out last night when I realized I was going to have to "take on the system" to some extent. But regardless of that fact, I went ahead and sent a very direct email to my son's teacher at about 1:00 AM, not knowing how it would be received or if it would even make a difference.

I am relieved to say that his response to me was completely apologetic in every way and included phrases such as "lapse in judgement", "no intention to cause offense" and "great desire to enforce and enhance parental teachings". He immediately ceased reading the book to the class and thanked me profusely for coming forward with this concern.

Moral of the story: Stand up for your kids and for what you believe to be right. Be an advocate for your children and their education. And keep your finger on the pulse of the classroom so you can say that you actually know what is going there.

Before I get off my big bad soapbox, I wanted to provide the ONE negative reaction I found to this book on the internet last night. It was written by an educator who was substituting in a FIRST GRADE California classroom where a teacher had left "The Day My Butt Went Psycho" to be read to the class. Please read it - it is exactly how I feel about this entire situation. (I know this post is long, but if you've read this far, you can read just a little bit more.)

I'm done now. I promise I won't blog about anything controversial for a really long time. Maybe tomorrow I will post pictures of my hydrangea bush that's blooming out of control. Because that's happy, and normal and has nothing to do with butts.


10 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Ahh Sammy, you've gone contro on us. Fantastic!! Welcome to the dark side. ☺

I'm extremely proud of you. And Chris. I think all parents should keep the schools on their toes. I think we should openly question what they are reading and how they are being taught and tested because I've seen some freaky things in the 3 districts my kid's been in during his short school tenure. Nuttiness. The nuttiest part being that generally all you have to do is say one thing and it stops when the complaint is fully valid. Like you did.

FWIW, I think all parents should take a little tour of their school's library if they haven't already and see what books they are allowing your kid to check out. In some cases it's all fine and good - in some cases you might want to put some restrictions on their reading materials.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Oh Oh and one more thing. (See what she meant about me? I'm a menace.)

The whole "books that get awards" thing. Forget it.

I learned that lesson after the Golden Compass and I learned it the hard way. I'll have to tell you that story sometime. It's the reason I now read every book before my son does, or have someone I trust read it or approve it first.

Jodie said...

Good for you. Last month I got word that 1st graders were talking about sex. Fortunately Preston had no clue and thought they said the "S" word... which is stupid in our house. I immediately sent an email to the teacher and she was shocked. It was quickly taken care of by the principal. I am not one to rock the boat, but I couldn't let this one go without being addressed. And the BUTT word, totally no no in our house also. Behind, bottom, bum are enough for me. Thank goodness for Mom's like you!

Tobi said...

It's bum-bum at our house as well. No butts.

I couldn't believe the synopsis of that book. Pure trash. I'm glad you said something and I'm glad the teacher took action.

Hil said...

Wow! Seriously? Cara's 4th grade class read "Shiloh", "The Not Jusy Anybody Family", "Time For Andrew" and "Trumpet of the Swan" among others. I'm a quick reader so every time she brought a book home I read it the first night after she went to bed... It's not that I didn't trust her teacher (who was fabulous) it's just sometimes what one might deem passable others find completely inappropriate.
Good catch Sam!!
P.S. Venting makes you human. :)

The Dragonfly said...

Hilary, This wasn't a book that Chris brought home. I've actually looked at all of those books and found them to be great choices . . . this was only being read out loud by the teacher, so I had no advanced warning. I actually didn't learn about it until they were two days into the book.

Sue said...

Unbelievable. Our tax dollars PAY for this? If we want our children schooled in the fine art of poo-talk, we can just send them to do the rounds in the neighborhood each day rather than go to school.

Nice work, Sam!

Lori Gerten said...

Well the teacher is checking into this one...

I would never read that book in my classroom as a read aloud. I wouldn't even have it in my classroom library. There was a time when I had very few books in my classroom library that there MAY have been a chance I would have had that book in there but now that I've bought classroom library books for the past five years I have enough books that that one would have come out asap.

I did have a student teacher who wanted to read a somewhat racy (no - not sexy) read aloud and I had a very difficult time with that. I wouldn't let her do it. Ultimately I was responsible for her and I would have had to deal with any parents (quite frankly very few of my parents speak much English so it probably wouldn't have been a problem) that had a problem with it.

I'm not defending the teacher but sometimes when you are making thousands of decisions daily you have a bad lapse of judgement and do something that comes back to bite you in the bootie.

Also I don't believe that whole bit about how potty books turn boys onto reading. There are other more effective methods of turning children onto reading .. . for example, a parent reading daily to their child, starting from an early age. IT's the MOST important factor in a happily literate child.

Another point. We don't really use the word butt in our house. I'm worse. ..we use the word bootie most of the time when we aren't using bottom. Ok actually I and Grace use the word bootie while my husband says bottom. I have to give hubbie the benefit of the doubt.

I use the word bottom at school or on your pockets (sitting down) but at home somehow the word bootie stuck.

Anyway, props to bringing it up to the teacher Sam. Sometimes we teachers get so caught up in the moment we don't think of the big picture!

The Dragonfly said...

Thanks for your comments Lori. As a teacher, you are the "expert". I think Chris' teacher felt exactly the way you said - caught in a bad situation by a decision that he quickly made without thinking. He's a good teacher and my son has learned a lot from him, so I can't complain too much. I'm more frustrated with society in genral.

Matt said...

It seems that book controversy is happening earlier and earlier in a child's life. Sad commentary on the way society is changing. All I have to say is don't let your children read J.D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" as the book is pure garbage. It was required reading when I was in High School and covers dropping out of school, fighting, and prostitution. Just the types of things you want to teach a teenager, right?

On another note I thought it was funny that you referred to the teacher as "stinking." No pun intended I'm sure. (-;