June 21, 2007

Ya Gotta Love The Second Day of Summer . . .

I dream of a summer full of days like yesterday - the first day of our summer break. The kids were all happy, our little routine seemed like it was going to work out great, we spent time at the pool, there were lots of friends in and out, we ate good food, - basically, it was a little bit of summer magic.

Then today came.

Chris and Soren were ready to go at 8:00 AM with beds made, clothes on and rooms clean. (The three requirements for getting breakfast at our house in the summer.) Next, Hannah came into my room. I'm not gonna lie - she was a pale shade of green. She told me her tummy hurt. I did the "mom's once over" on her. Does your head hurt? Does your throat hurt? Does anything else hurt? Do you need to poop? The answer was no to all of them, so I sent her back to bed to lie down. I began the day with the other two.

It only took about twenty minutes until I heard the painful wretching from the upstairs bathroom and heard the whimpering of my little girl crying out, "Mama". It doesn't matter how many times I do the sick thing with my kids, it always SUCKS BIG CHICKENS! I hate seeing her little frame bent over the toilet, shaking. I hate helping her wipe the mung from her lip and swish her mouth out with water . I hate it because I feel helpless and I know just how much it stinks to throw up - and on an empty stomach too! There isn't much you can do but stand at the ready to do those little things and then put them back in bed or make a little bed on the bathroom floor.

So much for a fun second day of summer for Hannah. Seven puke rounds later, her Grammy came to the rescue with the ultimate Vomit Cure-All . . . Gingerale and Saltines! Yay Grammy! We're so glad you're back in town to save the day. Seriously, because there was no way we were getting to the store with the upchuck queen!

Meanwhile, Christopher and Soren decided to seize the hot day and have a Lemonade Stand with neighbor pal Alexander. Utilizing Soren's cuteness to disable teenage girls passing by, the trio was able to rake in almost $7 in under two hours! Not too shabby.

No comments: