June 10, 2007

A Bad Case Of The Nerves . . .


It's Sunday, but instead of it being the usual day of rest (insert major laughter here because we all know that is never true in the church, or at least at my house) it is a day of business and nervousness.

We have our third piano recital tonight at 7:00 at the church. Chris, Hannah and I will be performing. For those of you who haven't heard, I decided to take up piano at the ripe old age of thirty-four. I finally got over my sixth grade music teacher's subtle hints that I had no musical talent and my parents never giving me a shot at trying anything musical and decided that I was a grown up and I could try to be musical if I wanted to. Now I am paying dearly for that decision! (But I do TRY, really I do.)

I found a true friend and great teacher in a gal from my ward named Ellen Ortega. She has not only taught me for two years, but has also gently guided my children into liking, and sometimes even loving, the piano. Our home is consequently filled with the soft sounds of little fingers hitting the keys, and the annoying sounds of little fingers hitting the keys. I am the piano practice slave driver, and I'm pretty sure most days that my kids are about ready to pick up the very heavy piano and huck it at me. Still, I have to confess, there is something so rewarding in hearing them play a little tune. Even they have a great feeling of accomplishment.

I don't require much to be pleased with myself when it comes to the piano. If I can learn a new song, I am tickled. Although my lessons have progressed much faster than the children, I find that I am reaching a point where it is getting harder and harder to push myself and come out on top of a tough song. That brings us to tonight's recital.

I am playing two songs tonight - one, a seriously easy, but very relaxing and beautiful piece called "Ocean View". It utilizes the pedal heavily and moves up and back down the keyboard, but has no really hard two handed combinations. It is a song I learned while I was going through my second miscarriage, and the rythmic wave like pattern of the song became a very soothing and healing thing for me to hear. It really does remind me of the ocean. I love that song.

The second song I am playing tonight is called "Liebestraum" by Franz Liszt. It is a beautiful, long tune that sounds like it could be playing in a music box. Since it was written in the 1800's, it probably has been put in a music box at some time or another. This song is tricky and I am not 100% comfortable playing it. I have trouble with the ending, which has sharps, flats, moves all over the keyboard and scares the bejeebies out of me. My plan is to play it slowly, with meaning and just make it through. I had Travis give me a blessing to help me with my nerves. I know it may seem silly, but even as a 34 year-old, I still have a serious case of stage fright. Okay, maybe my 6th grade music teachers comments are still rattling around in there somewhere. I get all sweaty, my hands shake like I've got the palsy, and I can barely breathe. It could be interesting!

I'll have to blog tomorrow and report on how it went. Until then, wish me luck!

2 comments:

Pinspot said...

I can't remember the last time I read, or even heard someone say, "the palsy." That made me giggle. You are going to be great tonight! I wish I could be there to tell you how talented I think you are and how, after 7 years of knowing you, I've become convinced that there is nothing you can't do. Especially after reading the supermom entry of a few days ago.

Love you like a fat kid loves cake.

The Carlsons said...

Great story! You are such an amazing writer. I'm glad that you finally started blogging we some of us could reap the benefits of your stories! I hope that dad was able to go to your recital. I'm sure you all did really great! Love ya A