August 16, 2010

Reality vs. Blog Reality . . .

IMG_1341

Photo by Sue Richardson

This blog is my sincere attempt to capture the happy and fun moments of my family’s life. It often seems like I might be living in a rosy little universe where everything is ‘just so’.  This simply is not my reality. My reality is a lot more like the picture above – an attempt while in Utah to get a picture of me and the four kids for the Hubby.  Epic fail.

I occasionally have to share the brutal truth about my crazy family either because it’s too hilarious not to or because I need to vent and writing is one of the best forms of free therapy I’ve found.

Some people aren’t comfortable airing out their dirty laundry on a worldwide stage for all to partake in.  I, on the other hand, recognize that maybe fifty people read this blog regularly and a good majority of them already know my dirty laundry, how it got so dirty and what I do to clean it all up.

But just in case you aren’t one of the fifty {or thirty-two, as my ‘followers’ button says}, did you know . . .

My kids fight all the time!  As in non-stop. There are two in particular who might actually despise each other to the very core.

My house is messy! I have been known to straighten an area strategically so it looks fab for a photo op, but much of the time {and especially this summer}, it’s pretty darn untidy around here.  I’ve learned that four kids and two adults are not clean 100% of the time – or even 68% of the time.

My Hubby and I get on eachother’s nerves.  It’s true.  But those moments pass and most of the time I pretty much adore him to the moon and back.  Most of the time . . .

My family is quirky.  As in my children, and my siblings, and my in-laws – all of them and me too.  Sometimes the quirkiness can make things complicated and hard.  At other times the quirkiness is what makes them all so dang fun.

My reality and my blog reality are two entirely different things.  But they are both part of my real life.  And it is a good life that teaches me as I navigate through the ups and downs, the perfect and imperfect.

It’s Monday.  Life is crazy.  But it’s also so, so good.

10 comments:

Kasey said...

Yes, it's true. My kids are fighting often. I'm ready for school to start again. A little more than three weeks. I think if there was a hidden camera for Q and I's fights, we would get the most pathetic award. After the argument we always admit it was over something so stupid.

Emily said...

I love the picture, so so true to my life, even more so now. If you know what I mean? Good to know you have dirty laundry, sometimes I wonder.

Burton's blog said...

Congrats! You are normal. I hear people everyday tell me that we will miss all of this craziness someday. Do you really think so?

TracieCarter said...

That photo is AWESOME!!! Every mom should have one of those although daily life is usually a good enough reminder of her state of affairs! Really, that is classic!

Our FHE was on being peacemakers because I was in tears a few times today with the decibel level and frequency of fights here. It's hard when ya know they take their cue from the top! My reality check and guide this evening was Alma 13:11-15. And I may or may not be bribing the kids with treats or video game time for racking up Peacemaker Points this week!

Apis Melliflora said...

I love the blog Dragonfly and the real life Samantha too. I'm so glad to know them both and to get to know them the way I did. At this point for me, they are so interwoven, that I often have a hard time distinguishing one from the other. Imperfections, eccentricities, quirks, dirty laundry and all.

The Queen Vee said...

Reality vs/ Blog reality, it's great to have both realities.
You are PERFECTLY human just like the rest of us, but a better writer than most of us.

Sue said...

It takes a special photographer to get everyone looking that good all in the same photo!

Nice work, keepin' it real. Now your grandkids will know your life was normal, i.e. crazy, when they read your blog books in 40 years!

AllisonK said...

your mom said it best... you are a great writer in both realities.

I'm just glad to know that my children are not the only ones. I have felt like I've made some crucial error in their upbringing.

Tobi said...

My kids don't fight too often. But as soon as it's time to take family pictures they both turn into the biggest grumps you've ever met. Why?! I really wish I knew.

Jessica said...

Thanks for posting this, I needed the reminder that it's not just me that has to deal with cranky kids that mess up my house all day long!

Jessica
http://outmybackwindow.typepad.com