August 17, 2010

His Name In Lights . . .

 IMG_7289

Last night RedDog had his summer lateover with a friend. It was pretty great for lots of reasons.  But if you ask my boy, he’ll tell you it’s because he and his best bud got on the jumbotron {and immediately had a case of stage fright}.

IMG_7286

We ventured into Maryland for night out at a minor league baseball game. If you want a genuinely comfortable American experience, I highly recommend minor league baseball.  I also highly recommend leaving your baby with his grandma!

Monday nights are ‘Kids Eat Free Night’ at the Frederick Keys games.  Hot dogs, chips and soda all for the cost of one child’s ticket.  But then you have to factor in that any Little League baseball player wearing a uniform gets into the game for free.  Now I’m going to pause and do the math in my head {not my strong suit}.  Yep, I’m pretty sure that means that the kids got into the game and ate dinner for ZERO DOLLARS.  Can you say awesome?

They seemed to think so.

IMG_7287

I should probably mention here a general truth of life which is that best buds are one of the coolest things about childhood.  And summer.  And life, really.

RedDog and his buddy ran up and down the stadium the entire night gathering signatures from players, hanging out by the dugout, posing for the cameras, dancing with the mascot and catching game balls thrown up into the stands by the players as they came off the field.

This is what’s great about minor league baseball – it’s so casual and kid/family friendly!

The boys ate hot dogs and nachos and cotton candy and ice cream in little plastic helmets.  And for one night I was the coolest mom on the planet instead of the meanest mom on the planet.

We also convinced my dad to come along.  He and Chris donned their rally caps {turn your baseball hat inside out} to help the Keys come back from a three run deficit in the seventh inning. 

IMG_7295

Everybody had fun.  Everybody came home with a souvenir.  And I got to sit, relax, not cook and finish my book {while also watching parts of the game, of course.}

IMG_7294

4 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

This is exactly what we're doing tonight! Hoping our experience is as fun as yours!

The Queen Vee said...

Take me out to the ball game...Popcorn and peanuts and cracker jacks. Nachos and hotdogs free balls too.

Know it was fun to go and to also check it off your list.

kkerr said...

That looks like a lot of fun! I love that it was free. I never thought of bringing a book to the game before. Excellent idea!

Tobi said...

Oh brave woman! Oh cool Mom! I cannot see day in the future when I will take my kids to any sort of sporting event. Just call me the Grinch of Sports.