June 2, 2009

Not To Jinx It, But . . .


Fantastic news: we've been given another chance! The aviary community has not shunned us permanently after the mysterious disappearance of four perfect Robin's eggs from our holly tree out back.

We've noticed a small bird flying away {from what?} every time we exit the house through our front door. On Friday as I was watering a hanging basket full of geraniums on the porch, I took a peek inside and found this nest which is strikingly similar to last year's front door wreath nest. Except, what's up with those two big/browner/rounder eggs? Do you think they're the mean soon-to-be bully brothers?

I promised myself that after this photo, I wouldn't touch the basket again. I do have to water my plants though - they weren't cheap! Do you think baby birds who get an every other day shower will still say "cheep"? Stay tuned . . .

7 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

I think this little bird picked a safer spot than the last. Can't wait to hear how things develop.

As to the watering, a little rain never hurt anyone.

The Queen Vee said...

They'll be hatching any day now and then those parents will really be busy. I'm sure the watering won't hurt them so keep it up, chirp, chirp.

Kasey said...

I love birds nests. Great picture of the eggs.

The Carlsons said...

I think the two blue/brown eggs better ask mom who the dad is....

I found a nest in the big topiary in the back yard. I think they're safe if they can find a way in and out when it's time to fly.

Burton's blog said...

I just have to know if you have to climb your pregnant self up on something to take these beautiful pics? Be careful, we want to hear your little bird chirp too!

Hil said...

Do you think that's a cow bird egg? I remember a talk given about how cow birds lay their eggs in another bird's nest and expect the other bird to care for it's young... It didn't paint the cow bird in a positive light... Hmm...

http://www.sialis.org/cowbirds.htm

http://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/cowbird.htm (read about nesting behavior)

west wind said...

I think those two other eggs are from a brown-headed cowbird--famous brood parasites, meaning they lay their eggs in other nests. The larger speckled eggs will likely hatch first, so they get a competitive edge.