January 1, 2014

New Year, New Me?

newyear

If I’m being honest, no.

I’m still an imperfect person with lots to improve upon. I do like the idea that at the beginning of each year I can take the time to self evaluate. When I make my goals, I am usually trying to become a better human being. I don’t claim things like “travel to a foreign country” or “go see a Broadway show” as my goals. I’m thinking of things like “take time to read to my kids” or “treat strangers with patience and kindness”.

I recently read that goals are our way of trying to have control of our own lives, when really God is in control and we should just turn it over to Him. While I do believe that God is in control, I think He expects us to do the work to improve ourselves. He knows our strengths, He knows our weaknesses. He has given us agency to make choices and desires us to be anxiously engaged in going about doing good, which I believe also means making good of ourselves, our lives and these bodies He has given us.

I’m still formulating my goals for this year. With everyone home for the past week and a half, I haven’t felt alone enough to think deeply about it. I will spend a little time meditating today, listening and learning about myself.

Last night we decided upon a single word for our family to work on becoming this year. We feel good about it because we chose it together. We will use our one word instead of a theme this year. I’ll share it in the coming weeks.

How about you? How do you feel about goals, resolutions and self improvement? Share a goal with me if you feel like it!

PS. Picture by my Photobro

3 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

I like resolutions because they offer us a chance to point motivation in a fixed direction. One of mine is to finish what I've started: several projects around the house need their T's crossed and i's dotted.

The Queen Vee said...

New Year, old me and getting older but hopefully by the end of the year there will be less pounds on my body and in my house....DOWNSIZING is my word for 2014.

Winnie said...

Hi, thanks for sharing this